Wednesday, January 28, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
I felt a bit recovered today and found getting out of bed as an almost natural action. I had a light breakfast, downed two glasses of crystal light and dressed for our ride. I only had one false start as I started to leave the house without my camera.
I arrived at Burger King to find Digger and Dragon Slayer waiting. Highlander and Rocky arrived right after I did and Minotaur wasn’t far behind. Gambler and Bulldozer joined us as did Rocky, Rooster and Quicksilver. I was talking to Gambler and Bulldozer about the A group just taking off at Doemnigoni and taking Minotaur with them when Alex, (RacerX) and his Steve drove up. We were giving introductions all around when ME-109 arrived on his fixed gear completing the group. I explained that we would have two groups and I would be leading the B group once we got to Domenigoni and the group choice would be up to the rider. We headed out onto Gilmor and started towards Acacia.
As we turned onto Acacia and headed towards Kirby I was impressed to see so many riders with us while it was still winter. We caught the light just as it turned green and I started us towards the Railroad Tracks riding side by side with Gambler till he fell back and had to give up my wheel to Highlander. We managed to make our way to Cypress and headed west through the housing tract towards Johnston. The group up to this point was very cohesive and we all made the turn onto Sanderson heading south towards Stetson and Wally World.
We easily made it to Mustang and once again got a green light that took us to Domenigoni where I started us west and got ready to give the lead up just as Bulldozer, Gambler, Steve, Minotaur, Racer X, Dragon slayer and ME-109 rolled by and pulled away from the rest of us. I thought about giving chase but at that point it was a 50/50 split so I stayed with the B group and gave the lead to Rocky and Rooster as we headed to Warren and then over the dry wash. Once we got pointed at Winchester we rotated through the group with Highlander taking the lead at the last. We pulled through the light and soon Rooster and Rocky were back in front heading for Leon. We had picked up Minotaur and pulled him to the bottom of the saddle and went onto our sprint to the top for our regroup.
We realized Minotaur wasn’t going to stay with us and Dragon Slayer would be leaving us at Murrieta so we decided to make our way down the back side of the saddle and head towards Carl’s for a nature break and a parting of the ways between us and the two leaving us. Highlander took us to Lindenburger and towards Menifee before Rooster and I took over and got us to Antelope and followed Dragon Slayer over the freeway and down to Haun where we only had to pause for the light and then head for Bradley. Dragon Slayer and I played tag as we pulled away from Bradley and ended up pushing each other all the way to Carl’s with Dragon Slayer edging me out at the Carl’s driveway.
Racer X had to go have a tire checked out at the local Bike Shop and once he was ready we all headed for Murrieta and parted ways with Dragon Slayer and Minotaur. Highlander pulled us to the next stop light where I got out front and headed us to Railroad Canyon.
Highlander was in front again as we got to Goetz and I had already shifted into the small ring to start the climb into the canyon. Highlander dropped off and Rooster closed on my wheel followed by Racer X then Rocky and Quicksilver. Quicksilverwas staying in sight as Rooster and I crested and I picked up the pace to try and make the light at Canyon Lakes. For the first time in a long time we made it and headed for the next light well ahead of the rest of the group. We stopped at the top of the last hill crest and waited for a regroup. Quicksilver rolled over the top first and I followed with Racer X and Rooster as we started downhill. About halfway down the hill I got by Quicksilver and Racer X came with me. He pulled around and I fell in on his wheel till he got us up to speed before coming back around and pulling him to Mickey Ds and a waiting Steve and ME-109. All that was left of Gambler and Bulldozer was a silver bullet and the sound of the William Tell overture in the back ground.
As we were sitting together talking and rehydrating Highlander, Digger and Quicksilver started to leave saying they wanted a head start. Rocky left with them and I finished my coffee before joining them. Highlander, Quicksilver and Rocky were long gone by the time I pulled out onto the street. Rooster, Steve, ME-109 and Racer X made the light and I didn’t. I realized I was going to have to chase the whole group through the canyon. But just as I was about to cross the last stop light I saw Rooster waiting for me and he worked with me trying to run down the rest of the group. We caught digger before the top of the first hill and we caught Racer X at the fire station. We could see the fleeing group as we started the second climb and after we crested the last climb it was Rooster, Racer X and me chasing hard to catch Quicksilver. We did catch her by the time we got to Murrieta and joined the rest of the group, sans ME-109, across from the Bike Shop. Quicksilver took us to Haun and Highlander took us to Antelope where I regained the lead and led the group towards Menifee with Steve right behind me.
I got us back to the saddle and started up the back side only to have Steve pull around and pull away from me before we crested. Rooster joined me and we managed to catch Steve just as we got to Leon and waited for the rest of the group. Once we were back together we waited for Digger but while we were waiting Quicksilver and Highlaner got a early start just as Digger rolled by. Steve, Racer X, Rooster and I gave chase a few moments later and managed to catch the threesome at Winchester.
As we headed for the dry wash Racer X started to have a problem with his tire and we at first stopped to help. He just needed more air but while he was adding it Highlander and Quicksilver left. As we started rolling we took turns till we got to the dry wash and Racer X stopped again only this time he had to add some Stan’s sealant before getting back on the road. I didn’t notice Racer X and Steve fall off as we crested the dry wash and headed for Warren but we did manage to catch Rocky. Quicksilver must have dropped the hammer because I was doing 24 and only closing slightly. Then they got the light green at Domenigoni and Sanderson and we got it red. In fact every time we closed they made it through a light that we got stopped at. Once we got to the light at Johnston I knew the chase was all up to Rooster and I so we tucked in behind a slow moving Chevy Compact and a lady doing maybe 26 and cased them all the way past Kirby and then Gilmore. We just caught them at the light on Florida before riding over to the parking lot and spending a few minutes reliving the ride.
Once everyone started to drive off Rooster and I headed back to Acacia and I parted ways with him at State to head for home and a hot Shower after a Protein Shake. I believe it was a great day for a ride.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment