Friday, January 23, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It was a good looking Friday morning when I looked outside. We had a good week so far and I was looking forward to today being just as good. I had a big breakfast and got dressed for the ride before selecting my Klein and heading for the Parking lot to get the show on the road.
Digger and I were alone for quite a while before Highlander drove up. It took a while longer before Rocky arrived. We were joined by Gambler, Bulldozer and ME-109. Quicksilver and Mark, (Rooster). Minotaur, Sasquatch and Sidewinder were with us as the clock moved to 9am and we headed out onto Latham and over to Lyon.
For some reason I got out front and started a pace line past Devonshire and then Menlo. Highlander fell in behind me and we strung out heading for Fruitvale and I slowly picked it up and we headed towards Esplanade. We bunched up at the light on Esplanade and had to wait for the green light before we continued on towards Seventh. As we started past Seventh and got close to Cottonwood I got ready to get down on the aero bars and drive the pace to Ramona.
When we made it past Cottonwood I started to pick it up and at the same time ran into a slight headwind. Highlander lost the draft and Gambler pulled up next to me to let me know that once he got to the Expressway he and Bulldozer would not be stopping to regroup so I would have the group to pull and regroup at Lakeview. It didn’t quite work that way but I was ready. We made it to Ramona Boulevard with Gambler leading and headed west.
We made it to Sanderson with Sasquatch leading and of course caught the light at the Expressway red. After it turned green I started us west until Gambler and Minotaur rolled by and pulled us to Warren. Minotaur fell off before Bridge and Rooster flatted. I didn’t see the flat but Digger stopped to assist him while the rest of us made a run for the Valero on Lakeview. I took the pull from Gambler and Sasquatch took it from me before I got it back and to take us to Lakeview while Gambler and Bulldozer continued on. We saw Rocky and Minotaur heading for the rollers while we waited to regroup. Dragon Slayer met us at the Valero and decided to chase Minotaur. I told him we would pick them up at Mickey Ds and we followed them just as they topped the first roller. Sidewinder took us over the rollers and crested first. Rooster almost caught them on the second roller and I dropped down the back side of the roller like a rock and caught them before Rider. I took us to the park entrance and then to Evans for a regroup. We then headed to Mickey Ds for one last regroup. Dragon Slayer and Minotaur were not there so we headed east towards Gilman. By the time we turned onto Alessandro we were in a face on headwind. We waited at Gilman to regroup and make sure everyone was still doing well.
We followed Quicksilver east till she ran low on power and Sidewinder took over and pulled away. Once again I relied on the aero bars to get under the wind and pull the group up to Sidewinder. We followed a him for a while before Sasquatch took off on us and once again I closed on him and followed him till t wind picked up and he slowed down. I ran by him and pulled away and stayed away till we got to Bridge where I waited for the group. When Highlander pulled Quicksilver and Rocky to Bridge and turned right I took my group with Sasquatch, Sidewinder, ME-109 and Rooster straight to Sanderson and caught a tail wind that took us all the way to Ramona where Rooster finally showed up with another flat tire. We changed it while waiting for Highlander’s group. While we were waiting Digger arrived just before Highlander and we decided to ride straight down Sanderson to Devonshire to get back to the parking lot.
Considering the wind and the number of stops we made I was surprised at the average speed we had heading back to Devonshire. I was showing 17.5 even with riding from home to the parking lot and back. None the less it was a pleasant ride and a good workout for 50 miles. And everyone got home safe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment