Wednesday, January 14, 2015

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) We had a rather small group Monday and I had no reason to believe it would be much different today. Wednesdays can be unpredictable and sometimes a bit more energetic than the first day of the week. So I put together about 40 miles of west ride and submitted it for the consideration of the group. After I had breakfast and got dressed I headed for Burger King only knowing I was heading for coffee but not knowing how many would join me for the ride. Digger was already there when I pulled up and went in for coffee. Highlander arrived just about the time Gambler rode in followed by Minotaur. We were joined by Kevin and Sidewinder as well as Huntress and things were looking pretty good. Sidewinder had a flat he had to fix and Sasquatch showed up just in time to help him. Quicksilver arrived as well and now we had a pretty good group. We got a visit from Red Rabbit but he didn’t stay. As soon as Sidewinder got his tire fixed we headed down Gilmore to begin the day.
It was cooler than Monday and that never works to the benefit of my legs. I had a warm base layer on but had decided against a jacket. Still I was relatively warm as I turned us on Acacia and got us to Kirby to head south towards Cypress. I took us west through the housing tract on Cypress towards Johnston and around the corner to Sanderson where I caught a green light for the turn on Sanderson and go up to Stetson.
As we headed west again I took the lead and pulled us to Warren where things started to shape up to get interesting. As we crossed Warren I started the pull but soon Sidewinder and Sasquatch took over. Sasquatch pulled us to California and got us pointed south. We didn’t get far before Minotaur rolled by followed by Highlander. Sasquatch dropped in on Minotaur’s back and Sidewinder dropped in on mine as we got to Stowe and turned west again. Minotaur picked up the pace and Sasquatch stayed with him when Gambler started to give chase. I took advantage of the draft and followed Gambler as he pulled up to Minotaur and Sasquatch. When he went by and pulled away I went with him and soon we were clocking at 27 mph. The break was made by Gambler, me and Sidewinder. I stayed on his wheel till just before the metal Barn where I waved Sidewinder by and looked back to see how far we had pulled away from the rest of the group. The three of us stopped as everyone else pulled in after us at Winchester farms.
As soon as everyone was ready we pulled out onto Winchester and Highlander pulled us south towards the Dump road. As we turned the corner Quicksilver took off and got out front with Highlander and Huntress following. Soon Gambler came by with Sasquatch and Sidewinder just as I got in front of Huntress and Quicksilver. I was going to let them go but Huntress encouraged me to take off after them and I caught them at the rise and rolled over it before shutting down to pick up the rest of the group. I then pulled Huntress and Quicksilver up to where Highlander was waiting and we joined the rest of the group at Florida and Briggs. Sasquatch, Sidewinder and I made our way to Mapes followed by Highlander, Huntress, Kevin and Quicksilver. Huntress made a run for Menifee and I took us around the corner and south towards Florida again.
Sidewinder, Sasquatch and I got to the light first and then pulled into the AM/PM for one last break before heading to McCall. The plan from there was to head south to McCall and head over the hill to the end of McCall and then over to Cherry Hill. I didn’t plan on any stopping till we got back home because I knew the Bling Team was on a tight schedule. What I didn’t know was the Bling Team had plans of their own and would be leaving us at Bradley while we headed to Murrieta and beyond.
True to form we made our way to McCall and started west over the hill. I did tell Sidewinder to wait on top for everyone before we dropped down Hospital Hill but one Gambler made the hill he decided to continue on and then make his way home. The Bling Team passed us at the top of the hill and we didn’t see them again till we got to Bradley and they were heading south. We stayed on the road and went to the end of McCall and made the turn to Cherry Hill before cutting back to Bradley for the ride south to Newport. I thought if we kept a good pace we might catch the Bling Team but had to reconsider when Highlander wanted to stop at Jack In the Box before heading home. A quick bathroom stop and we were back on the road heading east on Newport to Domenigoni. This time Digger was with us.
We made our way to Menifee where is seemed we lost Minotaur and Sasquatch. I stayed to pick them up and sent everyone else to the top of the saddle. It turned out Sasquatch picked up a Goat Head and had to change a tube. We rejoined everyone but Digger and Kevin at the saddle and then dropped down off of the saddle and headed for Leon. It was now we started to work as a pace line and took turn pulling to Winchester. We started off with Sidewinder pulling and soon we had changed lead several times as we got to the dry wash and then Warren. Both Sasquatch and Sidewinder did a great job of pulling as we got back to Sanderson and headed north towards Lowes. Minotaur and I got to Kirby and were joined by Sidewinder just after the light. We got back to Burger King after Quicksilver and Huntress had already left and after a bit of conversation we headed home ourselves. It had turned into a great day and a fun ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment