Monday, January 5, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
What a difference a weekend makes. Last week we about froze to death in the morning with heavy duty base layers, Balaclavas, Long gloves and glove liners and jackets. Today a base layer with arm and leg warmers seemed to do the trick. I looked outside as I was ready to leave and decided to hit the road without even a wind breaker.
I got to the parking lot first and grabbed a cup of coffee before Digger arrived. We stood there talking till Highlander pulled up followed by Metric Man. Next Sasquatch rolled up just about the time Tax Man drove in. Before Tax Man could unload Minotaur arrived and we all stood there talking till everyone got over to the windows. As we got ready to leave Minotaur had to put a boot in his back tire to cover a cut. By 9:09 am we were on our way and out onto Latham and then south on Lyon to cross over Florida and head to Whittier.
For some reason the air felt really light and thin today and it was no problem keeping up a good lace over Johnston and then to Stetson. We had to wait at the light on Stetson before heading south to Thornton and making the turn east. Metric Man couldn’t remember ever taking this ride but like most of us he wasn’t impressed with the pavement between Stetson and Thornton, but then none of us are impressed the condition on that street. We stayed together as a group till we got to State Street and headed south once more with Metric Man doing most of the pulling.
As we crossed Domenigoni we picked up Doug, he rode with us a few times last year and he followed us most of the way to Newport before I turned over the lead to Highlander. Only a few moments after the lead change took place Doug came by and three of us got on his wheel and headed around the bend to Cactus Valley road and past the Gold Course. I pulled the group over at Sage to regroup before we headed up sage towards Mento way. Tax Man stopped about 300 yards before Diamond Valley Market and Highlander stopped at the market while the rest of us stopped at Mento. Just as we got ready to leave to go back down the road Sasquatch got a flat. Digger rode back and hooked up with Highlander and Tax Man while the rest of us booked it down the road to Cactus Valley and west towards State.
No one was waiting for us on Cactus Valley so we got in a pace line and pushed for the corner to get to State. We took turns pulling and I ended up making the last push around the corner. Doug took over when Minotaur tried to make a break for it and I fell in on his wheel as we rolled by him. Just before we got back to Newport I saw sasquatch getting ready to go into a sprint but I beat him to it and got to Newport first where we all settled into cruise mode and ended up by meeting Highlander, Tax Man and Digger waiting for us just past McSweeney. Once we were all together we headed to Domenigoni to begin the run west.
Once we were turned west I got us started and Doug took over well before Searl. We lined up behind him and he pulled us to Sanderson where we somehow caught the light green. Metric Man told me he would have to cut off at Warren and Doug was still pulling as we made the light as well. I stayed behind him till we started up the grade to the dry wash. I pulled around on the grade and pulled everyone over the wash and part way to Winchester. We made that light green as well and once again Doug was leading. Sasquatch took a turn as did Minotaur. Minotaur pulled a bit too long leaving Doug and I to fight for the top of the saddle where we regrouped short the missing Metric Man.
We decided that because of the time taken changing two flats we would turn on Lindenburger and ride over to Simpson. This time I got down the back side of the saddle and headed north towards Simpson when Minotaur took over and pulled till we rounded the corner. I got us to Leon where Doug, Sasquatch and Minotaur pulled by and away from the rest of us. I kept the pace and pulled Highlander and Tax Man all the way to Winchester before giving chase to a fleeing Minotaur and pulling the rest of the group up to him at the big curve on Winchester. Doug got in front again and I was perfectly happy drafting him when Sasquatch started a run at Stowe. I got on his wheel but simply ran out of room as he beat me to Stowe and into Winchester Farms. This time we had to boot a tire for Doug before we were back on Stowe and heading for California.
We were easily moving east and it turned into a steady cruise to California Street. Sasquatch, Minotaur and Doug picked up the pace on California and left the rest of us to fend for ourselves as we made our way to Stetson and headed for Warren. We never closed on the lead group and could barely see than as we finally turned on Sanderson and headed back to Acacia. I pulled us to Kirby and then to Gilmore before heading to the parking lot to talk before heading for home. I got home with just over 41 miles on the computer and I still had a bit of spring in my step when I headed for the shower.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment