Monday, February 2, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
There are two things that motivate most cyclists; the brain and endorphins or at least that was a lesson I think I learned today. I got up this morning feeling refreshed and recovered from the beating I had taken on the SART ride we took in the Santa Ana wind. Feeling good or not I planned on staying with the group and letting any fleeing a group riders take off on their own if they wanted to. I had a good breakfast and got my kit on early and finally left the house at 8:15 am heading for the parking lot to see who would be joining me.
Digger, Dragon Slayer and I were there first and I grabbed some coffee while Highlander drove up. It took quite a while before Bloodhound rode up followed by Sasquatch. I was pleased to see Tax Man back with us and Jackal as well. Steve drove up about a minute before Quicksilver and MacGyver. Rooster pulled up last and we were ready to hit the road. We quickly made the light on Florida and were on our way to Acacia with Bloodhound pulling away.
We weren’t even close to catching Bloodhound till he stopped at Kirby waiting for the light. It didn’t slow him down at all because as soon as the light changed he was off to the races and heading south. We followed as a group to the railroad tracks and then onto Cypress to head towards Johnston. About halfway west on Cypress Bloodhound came riding back to join us and follow us to Sanderson to once more wait for a light. I managed to stay with Bloodhound as we turned the corner but only because he caught the light at Stetson and we had to stop. Once on our way to Mustang I squeezed by and caught the whole group heading for Domenigoni.
It was about here that my entire well laid out plans started to fall apart like a cheap pair of shoes. Before we got to Mustang Bloodhound saw Prosecutor make a U turn and head for Domenigoni. To Bloodhound the sight of a retreating cyclist was a bit like a puppy watching a ball being tossed in the back yard. He started to pick up the pace and my brain said let him go. However the endorphins in my body short circuited my brain and I fell in on Bloodhound’s back wheel. Lucky for the group Prosecutor pulled over at the corner and waited for us and watched as Bloodhound took us around the corner and headed west. I stayed on Bloodhound’s wheel as we headed for the rise and the group stayed with us as things slowly moved up to cruising speed. Things stayed organized as we got to Warren and the group re-shuffled as we headed to the dry wash and 24 MPH. So badly was my brain shorted out that I stayed with the group even when the lead changed and MacGyver had us up to about 26. I looked back and Highlander was still in front of me as was Quicksilver as we approached Winchester. Now things got interesting as the group started to string out and I moved up to follow Steve and Prosecutor. MacGyver, Sasquatch and Jackal were behind me as well and Jackal was not taking a pull so I knew he would attack the saddle. Prosecutor gave the lead to Steve and I was in second before we got to Leon. I knew if Steve gave up the lead before the saddle climb I would be toast because Jackal, Prosecutor and Sasquatch would attack on the climb.
Sure enough Prosecutor took off as we started the climb but I saw him coming and caught his wheel in the climb. Jackal started by me only to fall back and wait till I pulled him by Prosecutor and dropped Sasquatch. When I sat down to spin Jackal attacked and rolled by. I got back up and caught him and Rooster and I split him on both sides 20 yards from the top and a regroup.
Our next move would be to drop off of the saddle and head towards Antelope. I was one of the last riders off of the saddle and soon saw Highlander and most of the group pulling away and heading to Menifee. Fortunately the caught he light and I caught up. I followed the group to Antelope and was passed by several riders climbing over the freeway. We slowed for Haun and I heard Tax Man and Highlander talking about Tax Man leaving us. As we left Haun and headed for Bradley I kept trying to catch a draft off of a dump truck. I missed at every stop till Bradley and then finally caught the draft and held it most of the way to Carl’s were we would stop to rehydrate and make a nature call. It was here that Tax Man left us. We left Carl’s and headed for Murrieta and beyond.
Picture 58
At the light I had to promise Quicksilver that I would stay with her on the way down off of Goetz. I heard her wheedle a promise from Highlander that he would stay with her on the climb up Goetz so I knew she was covered at least on that part of the ride. I then promised to lead Dragon Slayer up Goetz and he agreed to wait with me at the top till Quicksilver got there and we could start down. Once again I thought my brain was in control but it was a fleeting moment.
As we started the climb Dragon slayer and I were towards the back of the pack the MacGyver, Steve and Bloodhound moving off of the front. When Steve started to gain on MacGyver and Bloodhound Sasquatch and Jackal went with him. I managed to pull around Dragon Slayer just as we caught Highlander and Quicksilver. We slowly closed on Sasquatch and Jackal when they fell off of Steve’s wheel. We caught Jackal before the second climb and the elks club and we past Sasquatch talking to a woman in a mini-van just before the last climb. I tossed a chain and Jackal caught us as I was fixing it. As soon as I was up and running we caught and Passed Jackal again and stopped on top to wait for Quicksilver.
We regrouped at Ethanic where I knew Dragon Slayer would leave us and waited till Highlander and Digger joined us. It was getting warmer and it was about time to remove some arm and leg warmers so we took an extra few minutes before getting back on the road and heading for Murrieta and the run home. So far it seems like everyone was having fun because almost everyone was still smiling and MacGyver took the lead and got us started east.
Things started off well enough as we turned onto Murrieta and headed south with Bloodhound biting at the bit all the way to the cemetery where we turned east again and headed for the frontage road. Once Steve got in front Quicksilver she latched onto his draft like he had a trailer hitch and followed him almost all the way back to McCall. Everything was still fine till we got back to the freeway and down to the Valero Station where we had to inflate Rooster’s rear tire. The Group got away from us and we gave chase to the top of Hospital hill where we had to change the tire. That didn’t last either and we had to change it again just past Menifee. Sasquatch and Jackal stayed with us as the rest of the group left us. We finally were able to chase again but never saw the group again as we made our way to Simpson and then Winchester before heading up to Stowe. Still no sign of the group so we headed for home on Stowe to California and then Stetson. We finally got to Sanderson and then to Lowes before getting back to Gilmore and the parking lot.
Many of the riders were gone but some stayed to make sure we were able to make it back. Jackal, Rooster and I headed to the bike shop to get Rooster’s bike looked at and Sasquatch headed for home. After dropping Rooster off I headed for home and a lunch date with my wife. It was a great ride and so I rewarded us with Lobster before returning home and kicking back in my easy chair for the afternoon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment