Friday, November 8, 2013
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It had been a while since I had a ride planned for Bautista so this Friday seemed like a perfect day for it. I know we did a climb last Friday and we might do another one next Friday but that is simply what happens when you live in a valley, sooner or later you have to climb out. So I showered and dressed and had breakfast before heading for Burger King to see how many were heading our way.
Digger got to the parking lot just before me so we walked in for coffee at the same time. We had a little while to talk before Dura Max arrived even if he would be leaving again to join T-3. MacGyver and Bloodhound were meeting at Carl’s and heading for Idyllwild so they wouldn’t be joining us. Dragon Slayer showed up and Centaur came by with Phoenix for the first time in a very long time. Ferret and Tinker Bell drove up and that was about it. Centaur and Phoenix were going on their own ride so they left just before us and we headed to Latham to start our ride to Lyon.
I already knew it was going to be warmer than the weather wizards had predicted and realized I would have to stop somewhere before Bautista to remove arm and leg warmers or I would melt like an ice cream cone. I mentioned that to Dragon Slayer and he agreed to lead us to Fairview and stop so we could strip off the extra gear. We Moved down Lyon past Florida and Acacia to zero in on Johnston and then Stetson.
Stetson to Thornton was like riding on cobblestone but it smoothed out a bit once we were heading east. We soon passed State and stayed on Thornton all the way to Santa Fe before returning to Stetson and heading east again. Dragon Slayer started to pull away and Ferret went with him. The rest of us followed at a more sedate pace and made a turn onto Columbia heading to Crest Street to ride through the old neighborhood. As we headed towards Lake we spotted Centaur and Phoenix cruising along in our direction.
We soon pulled away a bit and I rode with Digger and Tinker Bell over to Lake and started north towards Thornton and then Stetson. Up to that point Digger has stayed with us pretty well managing to keep a good spin going only to be slowed down on the little rise on Lake. Tinker Bell and I rounded the corner onto Stetson with Digger right behind us. I placed myself between Digger and Tinker Bell and we all got to Fairview to regroup with Dragon Slayer and Ferret. Ferret and Tinker Bell headed towards Florida while we took off our arm and leg warmers and before they got back to us Phoenix and Centaur rolled by heading for Wilson Mesa. They would be turning back at the corner leading to Bautista and Dragon Slayer, Digger and I would start up Bautista without Ferret and Tinker Bell.
I started out between Dragon Slayer and Digger with about 30 yards separating each of us. My plan was to more or less cruise up the canyon and watch to see how digger was doing but soon I was closing on Dragon Slayer and made that first big right and started to pull Dragon Slayer towards the dam. We stood the crest the rise and I pulled away on a run for the top. I had quite a gap till I hit the last three hills and Dragon Slayer caught me. Getting caught gave me a second wind and I got my spin back and pulled as hard as I could to the top of the Canyon. We sat down and waited for Digger.
As Digger made it to the top we were surprised to see Ferret closing on his back wheel with Tinker Bell only a few feet behind. Everyone seemed to have a good climb up Bautista and so we rehydrated a bit and had a snack while getting ready for the ride back down to Fairview. It had turned into a beautiful morning and we were enjoying the sun so we got a county worker to take our picture before starting back.
The ride down the hill was harder than I expected. We didn’t make it to the first corner before we realized the wind was in our face and we would have to pedal every foot of the hill all the way to Fairview. Dragon Slayer and I took turns pulling back to the white Picket fence and then Ferret took the lead and pulled to the dam. I jumped him at the hill and made it most of the way to the sharp right before Ferret got by us again and this time there was no catching him. We stopped briefly at Fairview till Digger and Tinker Bell rolled by and then chased them to the bridge and all of us rode together to Florida and then to Carl’s. Dragon slayer had to leave as did Ferret and Tinker Bell so Digger and I sat down to have coffee just in time to see MacGyver and Bloodhound coming back from Idyllwild. They couldn’t stay either so we headed for home with Digger and I taking a detour back to State by way of old San Jacinto. We dropped down to Esplanade and rode home on Palm. I got back with just over 40 miles. I am glad we live where we can ride all year long.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment