Friday, November 1, 2013
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Today was one of those special rides where we extend ourselves and at the same time have a good ride. The challenge was to ride to Mountain Center as a group Carl’s Junior parking lot about 8:00 am and found Dragon Slayer waiting. Digger and Dura Max got there next followed by Quicksilver, MacGyver and Bloodhound. Gambler and Barracuda pulled up just before Huntress and we were about read to leave.
Huntress had a flat before we ever left the parking lot so we all sat back and watched her give a tire clinic.
Digger and Dura max decided to head for Bautista while the rest of us headed out to Florida and headed for Fairview. Some of us wondered what happened to Papillon but figured he was delayed so we rolled past Fairview and headed for Cranston Station. Bloodhound was setting a pretty quick pace and I was on his back wheel till Gambler pulled around and I realized the ride was going to be too fast for most of the B riders so I dropped pack to help pull.
As we passed Cranston Barracuda joined Gambler and Bloodhound and started to pull away. I pulled till the B group got the Jeep trail and MacGyver took over. He got a bit in front of the rest of us as we pulled over to shed excess jackets, arm warmers and glove liners. As we were all getting cooler Papillon rode by and gave chase to MacGyver and the A group. We didn’t get far before Quicksilver’s Husband drove by and was flagged down carry to carry our extra gear.
Once we were back on our way we made short work of the climb up to Strawberry Shortcake. We made a quick regroup and started the long climb after the turn out and head for the winding twisting part of the road. We were spread out over at least a quarter of a mile just staying in our own pace and finally regrouped at Mountain Center where Quicksilver decided to ride home with her Husband. The rest of us headed for Idyllwild.
Once again the A group rolled by us and started to pull away, except for Quicksilver and MacGyver who was heading for home. Once again I started out pulling before Dragon slayer took over and took us for the first three miles towards Idyllwild. Finally we got to the sign and Huntress got to cross a ride off of her bucket list.
When we regrouped with the A group they were ready to hear for home but we were planning on coffee and Dragon Slayer offered to treat us so we decided to follow later. After Coffee, Dragon Slayer and Huntress had homemade pie, we were ready to climb back out of Idyllwild and head towards Mountain Center.
As we rolled by Mountain Center Quicksilver and her husband pulled up next to me in their car and she asked if I wanted to race. I jumped on it and headed down the hill. They couldn’t really race me because there was a Sherriff’s car right behind them. I got down to the flats first and by then Huntress and Dragon Slayer were with me. We rolled by Cranston Station and soon were back into the trees heading back to Fairview.
We got back to Carl’s and headed for our respective homes. I jumped over to Acacia and headed west for home. There were some special functions going on at every school I passed so I was Zig Zagging over to other streets till I finally got to State and Johnston. One last turn and I was headed for home. I got there with a hot shower in mind and 48 miles on the Garmin. I don’t know how someone could have a better day than to be with friends on a beautiful day and on a beautiful mountain road.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment