Friday, November 29, 2013

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Ok let us get to how I really feel about the weather wizards. I have been watching the weather predictions from everyone from the national weather service to the local weather wizards on TV. Early in the week they said it would rain Thursday and maybe Friday and so I planned our big ride for Wednesday and thought I might sleep in Friday, or do some shopping. Then Wednesday night the weather predictions kept bouncing back and forth from sixty percent chance on Thursday and fifty percent on Friday to zero. Sure enough it didn’t rain Thursday so I accepted their word that Friday would be as clear as Thursday. I debated on what jersey to wear and seeing that it was going to be rather cold I picked my White wool Peugeot team jersey and headed to Burger King for coffee. I got to Burger King and had coffee with Digger while we talked about how warm my jersey was and why I wouldn’t be wearing it in the summer. We also talked about all of the clouds moving in and rechecked the weather channel with another prediction of zero percent chance of rain. While I was talking Bloodhound and Highlander showed up followed by Papillon. RCMP arrived just before Phil from Beaumont and we were about ready to ride. I got a call from Daredevil that said he would meet us on our way to Domenigoni and we headed for Acacia on Gilmore. I was thinking about how nice it was having Highlander back in the fold as we moved onto Kirby and finally the turn onto Cypress where we picked up Barracuda.
Like many days Bloodhound was pushing the pace a bit and I was a touch concerned because Phil and Highlander hadn’t been with us over the last few days when the whole pace had been pressed from the beginning to the end of the ride. Today didn’t look like it was going to be a slow break in or welcome back ride for either Highlander or Phil. But as we moved onto Johnston and to the light at Sanderson I could see that Digger would keep track of Phil and all I had to do was keep Highlander on my wheel and I could try to keep the big dogs in sight. At least that was my thought as we headed south on Sanderson and picked up Daredevil in front of Wally World.
Once we turned onto Domenigoni things got interesting. Bloodhound started to move out and Daredevil moved up with him. I looked back and saw Highlander was with me and soon Phil and Digger were off the back and being swallowed by RCMP, Barracuda and Papillon. Daredevil pulled us to Warren and headed for the dry wash over pass. As we crossed the overpass and started down the back side we had a seven rider pace line just cruising at 24 MPH like we could do that all day long. Daredevil gave to lead to Bloodhound and I stuck to his wheel like a trailer. We stayed that was till we were halfway to Leon where I got a chance to pull. I figured they would all draft me to the saddle climb and then I would get smoked but they allowed me to lead them to the regroup on top.
Our next move was down the back side of the Saddle and past the light on Lindenburger. We made it through that light and headed for the light at Menifee. As we turned south again Bloodhound started to pull away a bit but Daredevil quickly pulled him in and I followed them past the elementary school and onto Holland and the hill just after it. Daredevil and Bloodhound started the climb first and I jumped out to see how quickly I could get up the hill myself. I got the lead briefly only to have Daredevil shut me down and pull away before we got to the stop sign. Still it was one of my better efforts and we waited for everyone to regroup before heading towards Scott.
We were still all together as we rode by Antelope and over the freeway. To my surprise the lead group turned on Haun as we got to the light. It may have worked out for the best because Highlander wasn’t interested in going up Scott to Murrieta so he got on my wheel as I gave chase to a group of three and they closed in on Daredevil and Bloodhound. The group turned onto Holland and headed west and I stopped to collect Highlander, Digger and Phil. We made our way to Murrieta and then jogged over to Holland again and worked our way out to Railroad Canyon before headed east. Once again we split into two groups but we managed to regroup once again at Murrieta in front of the Jack in the Box.
We decided to ride as two groups heading for home as I watched Bloodhound, Daredevil, Papillon, RCMP and Barracuda disappear around the corner on Antelope to get around the construction work on Newport. Highlander, Phil, Digger and I lost sight of them well before we got back to Menifee. We had been dodging small raindrops most of the morning so I had reason to question the wisdom of all of the weather wizards and there zero rain prediction. I took us to Lindenburger and then offered to pull the group to Winchester on Simpson. Highlander and I got to Winchester first and then headed to the Winchester market for coffee. We sat inside t talk because it was warmer but when we came out is was raining cats and dogs and the zero chance was busted big time. We tried to wait it out but it wasn’t letting up so Phil and I made trash bag ponchos and followed Highlander and Digger back to Burger King. I got home with soaking feet and 49 miles on the computer. I also had a grudge against the weather wizards.

No comments:

Post a Comment