Monday, July 2, 2012

Tour De Inland Empire

7/02/2012 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) It is a long standing practice to stage the Tour De Inland Empire about the same time as we watch the TDF on TV. So today we were going to have the Prelude, Stage 1 and Stage 2 all on the same day. I left the house this morning looking forward to the Prelude and Stage 2. Lining up at the start for the Prelude was a surprising entry, Cossack. Dura Max and Highlander were full B team members and Coyote and I represented all of team B. Because of how our rules are set up only Cossack was representing team A for the Prelude but he is such a powerful rider they figured he could hold on and give them the team points they needed for the over-all team lead. The Peloton left on Latham and headed north on Lyon almost right on the dot of 8am.
I managed to gain a few points for the B team by pulling all the way north on Lyon to Ramona. I wasn’t pushing all that hard but we had a pretty good pace as we quickly made it to the left turn where I wanted to give up the lead, but I didn’t. I was pulling all the way to Sanderson and up to the Expressway and started us west.
Once we started west Cossack started to exhibit the power the A team picked him for and got out in front of the Peloton and kicked us up to 22 or 23 well before we got to Bridge. About that time I got a call from Hornet who was late for the start so I sent him backwards towards where Stage 1 was about to be held. We were still only halfway through the Prelude when the two big names in the A group attacked the south side of Juniper. It was an epic battle between Bandit and Gambler that reminded many of Lance Armstrong with the “Look” at Alpe d'Huez in 2001. Gambler and Bandit started the climb on the south side and Gambler must have given him the look and took the hill with a winning time at least 60 seconds ahead of the second place Bandit. The cruised down the hill and met us just about the time we finished the Prelude. I was second about 15 seconds back.
As it stood after the Prelude Gambler had the most points with Cossack second by about 48 seconds and Bandit was third by about a minute and I was trailing at a minute 12. The hard part was that team B was behind as well even though only by about 40 seconds over all. More people made for more points and a better time. We were now about ready for Stage 2 and the quest for the yellow Jersey or Mallot Jaune as they say. My problem was I am not a climber and three of the better A team climbers were just ahead of me. As the numbers stood I was down in time but at least we were close by the numbers in team standings. They had 14 points for two firsts and a second in the Prelude and Stage 1 and we had 13 points with a second, third, fourth and fifth in the Prelude and a third in Stage 1. We were simply outclassed on the climb and Gambler had to fight tooth and nail with Bandit for the Stage win. About half way up the hill Bandit made a break and pulled away from both Cossack and Gambler. Before the last part of the climb Gambler recovered and closed to within a few seconds of Bandit and Cossack closed to catch the back wheel of the two climbers giving them a 1,2,3 finish. Because of the Stage one finish Gambler was the lead in individual time but they were only looking at an additional 12 points in the team effort. It should be good enough because team B could only muster 7 points putting us 6 points down.
We took off on the decent of Juniper with a very small chance of catching the A team or having anyone on the B team qualify for the Yellow Jersey. We raced down the hill none the less and chased the three A riders all the way to Briggs where a small miracle happened. The three A riders missed the turn and headed due west. Because of their navigation error they were moved to the back of the peloton and the B group headed for the finish line at Chris’s. As we moved down the dump road I managed to get a wheel on the lead and made it to Chris’s first earning the Yellow jersey for the first three stages of the tour. We celebrated or victory with coffee and energy bars before heading for home with an easy spin on Stowe.
Team B was in the lead with two days of the tour left. We were excited but we also knew the pressure would be on for the Half Paris ride Wednesday and whatever comes up Friday. All I can say is I got to wear the Yellow jersey all day today and that will be enough for my memories. The rematch between Bandit and Gambler will have to wait till at least Friday. For now we have to get ready for Wednesday and the ride through Paris and over the back side of the little Pyrenees before hitting Newport and back to McCall and the Hospital hill. I left the group at the Airport and Dura Max and I cruised all the way back to my street. A good day and a good ride. One for the B team.

No comments:

Post a Comment