Friday, July 27, 2012

7/27/2012 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Sometimes making a change in training, eating, or applied effort needs to be made in stages. I however seem to be one of those people that doesn’t follow such sage advice and today I had an opportunity to experience the advantages and disadvantages of making too many changes all at the same time. Let me confess that I started reading a new book on cycling called “Bike for Life” and it pointed me to change my diet a bit and to stretch and exercise first thing in the morning. I started said regimen this morning and based on something I read managed to leave the house without eating any breakfast. I would pay for that later in the day. I decided to take the Klein out today because all in all it was going to be a somewhat flat ride. I got to the parking lot a bit early only to discover only Dura Max and Centaur waiting for me. It took a few extra minutes for The Shadow, Surgeon, Highlander and Huntress to arrive but as soon as they did we were off to Latham and heading north on Lyon.
I will admit the stretching seemed to be helping and I was feeling strong as I led the pack north towards Ramona Boulevard all the while talking to Surgeon about what a nice day it seemed to be and the hope that it would stay that way for the remainder of the day. Finally we fell into a pace line and soon we making the turn towards Sanderson with me still in the front.
Once we made the turn onto Sanderson and got caught at the light at the Expressway we were like a group of race horses waiting for the gate to open so we could head west on the long run to Lakeview. I continued to pull as we started towards Warren Road and finally gave things over to Surgeon as we started our rotation on the way up to Bridge. About half way up to Lakeview Centaur took over and the pace hit a steady 21. However the pace was steady and everyone managed to stay in the pace line all the way to the stop light just before Lakeview where we planned on a nature stop. As we pulled back onto the Expressway I was still feeling pretty good and was convinced that skipping breakfast wasn’t going to affect my energy level and the first roller to Barnisconi was proof as I led the pack to the top without pushing my Heart Rate past 150. The group split a bit as we started towards the second roller and I ran up on the back of the leaders too fast and had to downshift and back down to stay aerobic. I had already past the segment so there was no reason to chase everyone to Ryder and west to Evans.
The pace was easy but steady as we past a young rider on a BMX bike just before Evans. We turned towards Nuevo and cruised along to Orange Avenue where we turned back to Dunlop and caught the same Kid who must have taken a short cut. We caught him before Nuevo but he turned several blocks early. We caught the light red at Nuevo and when we did turn again towards Menifee there was the same BMX rider ahead of us again. I caught him before the bridge and we pulled ahead to Menifee where we regrouped once more. While we were talking the Kid past us and headed south on Menifee were we could just see him riding off into the distance. Once we were back on the road I pulled to Central and Huntress took over and pulled to the hill at the nursery. I made a jump at the rise and Surgeon ended up following me. Highlander pulled much of the group up to us and then past to pull to Mapes. I got back out in front and took the group to AM/PM for another regroup. As we were standing there we missed the fact that Dura Max had been caught at the light on Florida and while we waited I missed the fact that he did stop. I gave chase but it took me all the way to Lindenburger. We rode together all the way to Winchester and managed to get to Chris’s about half of a block before Centaur and the rest of the group. After a short stop for coffee we took off again on Winchester with Highlander pulling like a freight train. We rounded the corner on Stowe and started a slower pull towards California with me in the front.
I was still leading as Surgeon left us at Warren and we continued to the airport. As soon as we turned off of Stetson Highlander seemed to gain extra energy and I had to drop the hammer just to stay with him to Sanderson. As we sat at the light on Sanderson and waited for the rest of the group I began to feel the effects of skipping breakfast but pushed on as we went behind Lowes and out onto Acacia. Dura Max left us as we crossed Florida. Once back to the cars I stopped to talk with the group and while standing there realized I was out of gas. I was planning on slowly riding home but Huntress would have none of it and Highlander ended up giving me a ride home. So some changes I can live with and some I cannot. Skipping breakfast is one change I don’t plan on staying with.

No comments:

Post a Comment