Friday, July 20, 2012
7/20/2012
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It was going to be hot and we had a extra ride planned for Saturday so I wanted something simple and flat. I knew I would be down at least three or four riders so I wasn’t sure how big the group would be but to be honest I felt so good when I got up I didn’t care. I left the house after breakfast and pulled into the parking lot to see Coyote and Dura Max waiting. It took a while but by 8 am everyone had arrived and we were nine riders strong and heading down the road to Acacia and Kirby and south.
It was good to see Blood Hound back and he was riding strong and steady. Ferret and Barracuda were my only worries because they tend to push a pace at times on Friday. Huntress was very animated and Coyote is almost always up for a good run even if he has a ride planned for Saturday. Surgeon and Dura Max tend to be steady and are satisfied with just about any pace we set. Ferret’s wife Mary was with us for the first time in a long time and was looking stronger than ever. We made it to Cypress and turned towards Johnston to get ready for the light at Sanderson.
Once we made it through the light I got the lead and pulled us past Wally World and then all the way to Domenigoni. I stayed on the front after we made the turn west and pulled us along at about 19 for about another quarter of a mile before giving it over to the next rider. Blood Hound took us up to about 20 but held it there till we got to Warren where Barracuda took over and pulled us all the way to Winchester at a steady 20. He kept the lead and pulled the whole group to the Saddle where we stopped to catch our breath.
Once we dropped down the back side of the saddle we got a chance to coast all the way to Lindenburger without having to pedal if we didn’t want to. I hit a top speed of 31 without even getting in a tuck and we moved past Lindenburger and made to turn into the housing tract on the left to start working our way over to Briggs. So far the ride had been pretty much relaxed and I had thought it might stay that way. But it didn’t.
Once we turned south on Briggs I started the outbound run and felt pretty good pulling the group along at about 17. Everyone was content to follow me till we got to Holland where Coyote pulled in front to give me a break. He managed to turn things up a bit once I closed in on his wheel and he kept ramping it up all the way to Gaboni and turned west. I fell back to ride with Dura Max and promptly got stung by a Bee just below my sun glasses under the left eye. I managed to get the stinger out and regrouped with everyone on Antelope before we headed back down to Newport and back to Lindenburger. We stayed in a good pace line on Simpson and Huntress took the short spring to Winchester before we turned back north to Stowe and worked our way back to Hanger1 for coffee and conversation.
Some of us got coffee and we ate energy bars as we discussed the ride and what we had been up to since the last time we got together. We were impressed with Ferrets new bike as well as Mary’s and were very glad she could join us again. I finished my coffee and took some pictures of some of the planes that have stored at our little airport.
By the time we were almost ready to leave Blood Hound got a call and had to leave without us. We slowly mounted up and got back out onto the street to head back to Burger King and the cars, for those who drove to the parking lot. Surgeon and I started out first and managed to get to the light on Sanderson a few yards in front of everyone else. Once it changed I pulled up to Lowes where Surgeon left us. We turned into the driveway and rode around the building to get back to Acacia and east to Kirby. Barracuda continued
on as we turned on Gilmore. We were finally in cruise mode and heading back to Florida to catch our last light. As we got back to the Parking lot Dura Max continued on and headed for home. I stopped and talked with Coyote, Huntress, Ferret, Mary and The Shadow who happened to ride up just as we did. Huntress was still a bit upset with me for not responding when she made the perfect jump on Simpson but to tell the truth she was by me before I could do anything. Finally I rode home for a Shower and lunch satisfied with another good ride with good friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment