Monday, July 16, 2012

7/16/2012 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) They predicted that the weather would cool off a bit on Monday and I was counting on it when I posted the long ride to Lake Perris. I didn’t even look outside before I had breakfast and got dressed but when I walked out to add air to my tires I could tell we had a break in the heat wave. In fact as I made my way to the Burger King parking lot it was downright cool. When I pulled in 501 and Dura Max were waiting over by the big windows and Centaur was still unloading his truck. Surgeon, Highlander and Tax man pulled in about the same time and we chatted till 8am before heading south towards Acacia. We made it quickly to Kirby and south again.
My goal for the day was to keep the pace steady at about the pace of a six hour century. It might be difficult to hold back Centaur and you never know about Surgeon and he was leading us as we moved to Cypress and headed through the housing tract and out onto Johnston before catching the light at Sanderson. We picked up speed as we headed for Stetson and got through the light before it had a chance to turn red. We moved past Wally World and zeroed in on Domenigoni to get the ride started.
Surgeon started the pace line as we turned west and stayed out front part of the way to Warren Road. I got the lead and took us past Warren and gave to lead to 501and we ended up taking turns all the way to Winchester. Finally Centaur got out front and pulled us all the way to the saddle where he started the sprint to the top and quickly pulled away for the chasers. I just managed to catch him at the top just before the fence but that would never had happened if he hadn’t pulled for about a mile and a half.
Surgeon discovered some bubbles on the front tread of his tire and was concerned that he might be tempting a blowout. He thought about calling for a ride home but decided that if he took it easy he might be able to nurse it home. We dropped down on the back side of the saddle and turned on Lindenburger and I took us to Simpson where Surgeon left us to limp home. We made a turn on Heritage and Highlander pulled us to McCall and gave the lead back to me as we turned on Menifee and headed north to the AM/PM for a break.
We formed a pace line and headed north on Menifee after leaving the AM/PM and Dura Max pulled us all the way to Mapes. Highlander then started the pull towards Central and was doing just fine when Tax man tossed a chain. Dura Max and I stopped while he fixed it and then we chased the rest of the group to Central and I took us to Nuevo and made the left. I stayed out front all the way to Evans where Centaur once again took over and moved us along towards the Expressway.
The weather was almost ideal as we turned onto the Expressway and headed east to the park road entrance. We headed doggedly headed for the front gate and through the turnstiles. Centaur and 501 started the attack first and Centaur took the hill first followed by 501 and I was a distance third. I did take the frontage road while Centaur stayed out on the main road so I managed get to the marina first. We took a quick snack break and then got back on the train to head east out of the park.
It took a lot of reserve not to attack the Strava segment on the east end of the lake but we did keep the whole group together as we rounded one turn after another. I pulled most of the way but 501 helped and gave me a break for at least a mile. He fell off just before the steep little hill and I crested it first but Centaur pulled past me before I got back out onto the exit road east.
Now all that was left was the run back down to the Expressway and head for home. Highlander took us all the way to Lakeview and the light after before Centaur pulled around and started a long lead back to Bridge. The wind seemed to be picking up so I pulled around and took us to Sanderson where we jogged over the Ramona Boulevard and stopped for a quick dose of Vitamin “I” and some electrolytes before continuing on towards Lyon where Dura Max and 501 would be leaving us and heading for home.
Once we split up Centaur took us south on Lyon with Highlander and Tax Man close on his back wheel. I cruised along at the rear enjoying the draft and missing out on what little head wind we had. We made it past block after block until we got back to Latham and turned back to Burger King and the cars. We had a short visit before I headed the extra mile and a half to home giving the slight extra miles I need for a half century.

No comments:

Post a Comment