6/29/2012
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It was another Friday and another attempt at a short easy ride. I knew better of course but at least it would be short and even if it turned into a drag race I thought I could hold on for 30 miles or so and that is pretty much what I was planning when I got dressed and headed for Burger King at zero early hundred this morning.
I arrived to see Coyote talking to Dura Max, Von Richthofen and 501. We exchanged greetings as Surgeon and Highlander arrived. It started to look like a small group till Ferret and Gambler pulled up followed by Bounty Hunter, D’Artagnon and Barracuda. Right at 8:30 we headed to Latham and over to Lyon and headed north.
I chatted easily with Ferret as we turned north on Lyon and I could hear other behind me talking and joking as we moved past Devonshire and then Menlo. There was no pace line this morning as we seemed more interested in conversation than they were with speed. Soon Highlander pulled up next to me and talked for a while before he fell back and 501 moved forward. The main group was never too far behind and yet not all that close either.
Ferret and 501 pulled for a while till we got to the jog through the houses to get over to Ramona and head east. Somehow I managed to get back out front at that point and for some reason no one else seemed to what to lead. I ended up pulling all the way to State and caught the light. I turned north with everyone else and once again ended up in front.
I had been feeling pretty well lately and my plan was to sit back and let Gambler, D’Artagnon, Ferret and Barracuda pull to Soboba and then through the two rollers with me on someone’s back wheel basking in the draft. But as they say plans don’t always work out and even slowing down do one seemed to what to pass as we rolled past the expressway and up to the College. By this point I was resigned to my fate and knew I wouldn’t be able to give chase down Soboba.
As we got to the first roller on Soboba the fun began. Gambler, Ferret, Barracuda and D’Artagnon past me and I thought just for an instant of giving chase. However I thought better of it and let them go. After the second roller I managed to give the lead to Surgeon and fell to the back of our pace line behind 501. I stayed there till we topped the rise at the driving range and didn’t move towards the front till it looked like Surgeon wanted off the front and Highlander was about to take over. I managed to pick up the pace a bit and attacked the last rise to the regroup spot at the golf course. I couldn’t hold off Coyote but I did manage to stay in front of the rest of the group till we stopped.
Once we were all together it was time to start thinking about the second sprint and I was in a good position as Gambler led us down to the stop sign and towards the rive overpass. I got a late jump but Gambler never saw me coming and I hit the hill at full speed. However I never saw D’Artagnon coming and he past me before we crested giving me a second for the second time today. We as they say there is always another day and I felt good about my effort.
We got split up when 501 flatted but managed to get back together after we turned east on Florida and headed for a regroup at the Ranger Station.
Bounty Hunter had to leave early so he turned back on Florida but there was still a good sized group for the run back down to Carl’s were we have coffee and conversation. As we pulled out onto Florida Barracuda and Gambler was once again well out in front and the pace was quickly picking up. I did manage to get a jump on the sprint into the trees and stayed there for about half of a mile before being run down by the pack. I finally fell to the back and rode behind Dura Max and Von Richthofen all the way to Carl’s. We stopped for a little while and Von Richthofen and 501 left first. We were only a few minutes behind as we started back west ourselves.
We lost D’Artagnon as soon as we started for Lincoln and Gambler left us a few blocks later. Finally we were taking it easy as we crossed Lake and then Hemet Street. Everyone looked very relaxed as we closed in on Park and got ready for Dura Max to break for home.
We made a left on Park and rode easily past a herd of Zebra that was grazing behind a chain link fence and in front of a Nativity Scene. Whoever owns that property has had a whole bevy of different animals and Zebras are only one example. Soon we were turning onto Devonshire and working our way to Santa Fe before dropping down to Latham and then back to the cars. I stopped and talked with Surgeon, Highlander and Coyote before heading for home and a hot shower. It was that far or that fast of a ride today but I have to admit I enjoyed myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment