Friday, June 1, 2012

6/01/2012 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Summer is here and looking outside this morning there was no doubt. It was clear and warm as soon as I walked outside to greet the morning with my dog. It hasn’t reached the point of uncomfortable hot yet at least not in the morning but I was pretty sure I wouldn’t need any arm or leg warmers today. I got dressed, had breakfast and headed for Burger King and somehow got there early. To my Surprise Sea Lion was there unloading his bike. Dura Max pulled up next and then Von Richthofen and Surgeon, while Highlander was pulling into the parking lot. The last to arrive was Gambler and Barracuda and we were ready to go. Dura Max, Sea Lion and Von Richthofen left early to ride with T-3 and Ruby Tuesday while Barracuda, Gambler, Highlander, Surgeon and I took off down Gilmore.
Dura Max was leading the group he was with on the same route we were planning on but they had a head start and we were wondering if we were going to see them before the end of the ride. We turned on Acacia and rode up to Kirby and turned south. I spent the time chatting with Highlander as we turned on Cypress and headed up to Johnston. Somehow I got back up front and took us down Sanderson to Wentworth and west again towards the airport.
Once back out onto Stetson and heading towards Warren Road I settled into an easy pace and pulled everyone along at about 18 MPH. My plan was to keep it easy and give up the lead after Warren so I could rest on the way to California. There is a problem with plans however and that is sometimes they don’t work out. After I crossed Warren and backed it down so did everyone else and they stayed behind me all the way to California. I made the turn towards Stowe first. Surgeon and Highlander were right behind me as we turned again towards Winchester and I started the run. But I was pretty well spent and Gambler went buy me to take the lead. He picked up speed quickly and I gave it all I had t keep up. I did stay with him as the group started to fall off and was still there as Highlander finally pulled off. I was pretty much toast as we pulled into the parking lot and waited for the rest to regroup.
Once we got back on our way I ended up front again and took us south from Winchester and Stowe. We once again hit cruise control at about 20 and pushed hard for the dump road. As we rounded the corner and headed west I tried to back it off again but everyone seemed content to hold the pace at about 18 and Highlander pulled up next to me to say how much he was enjoying the ride today. I wasn’t so sure because I felt just a bit of wind starting to come up and knew that once we got to Leon we would be turning into any wind that might be coming up.
True to my prediction the wind was coming from the South and I knew that would make the ride down Domenigoni unpredictable. I was thinking about it all the way south on Leon and as it hit us in the side on Simpson. It was still there at Lindenburger but not as strong as I had thought. Surgeon teased Gambler about how fast they were going to make the run down Domenigoni to Winchester and Gambler teased back that we could do about 26. Little did we know that it was going to become a prediction and not a joke? We climbed the saddle and Gambler and Barracuda soft pedaled till we were all together and then the run started. Gambler had us at a steady 24 all the way past Leon. Then the real suffering started as Barracuda pulled by and started the pull. We eased up to 25 and every one held on. Soon we were hitting 26 and still we were wheel to wheel. The next stop was 27 and the line started to break. I took a quick look behind me and I could see the strain on Highlanders face, he was on his last match so I pulled up and tried to help him recover. We reeled in Surgeon and watched Barracuda and Gambler fade into the distance. However by Warren we could see Dura Max and his group in front of us. Highlander broke off at Sanderson. Surgeon and I followed Dura Max and his group to Columbia where they turned and we went straight in hopes of catching Gambler and Barracuda. We never say them because I believe they went home early so we headed down Fairview to Florida and stopped at Carl’s. As we ordered some coffee Dura Max and his group pulled up and we all had coffee and conversation together. And then Surgeon and I followed Dura Max, Sea Lion and Von Richthofen back to Lincoln and headed for park
Von Richthofen and Dura Max left us at Park leaving just three of us to head back west towards Burger King. Sea Lion was riding strong and lead the way around Park and onto the jog to Devonshire as we cruised home.
I stayed with them till we got to Palm and they continued on to their cars while I headed for home and a hot shower. I got back to Florida and caught the light red and for some reason it seemed to irritate some of the cars behind me. They weren’t turning so I don’t know what their problem was but two cars past me like they were starting the Indy 500 and faded into the distance as I headed for Acacia. Next stop was my house with 39 miles on the computer. Good day for a Friday ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment