Monday, June 4, 2012
6/04/2012
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Looking at the weather updates Monday looked like it would be a great day to ride out to Lake Paris. I got up turned on the coffee and looked outside and it was just as I hoped, not too hot and not too cold and no wind. I had breakfast, got dressed and headed for the parking lot to meet up with who ever wanted to make the ride today. Nike was parking as I arrived and Hornet was getting a tire pumped by Dura Max. Highlander pulled up as did Surgeon and it looked like we were about all that were riding today. Dura Max left early to ride over to Starbucks and we waited till 8:30 to head out onto Latham and headed for Lyon to ride north.
I thought because we were pretty much all B riders that we would just cruise up Lyon till we got to Ramona but it was soon pretty clear everyone wanted to keep the pace going and roll out pretty quickly. It didn’t take long and we were at Lyon and Ramona heading for Sanderson. I was out pulling and got us to Sanderson and the Expressway in just a few minutes as we caught the light and waited for the turn west. Once the light changed I got us out at a pretty good pace and rolled us past Warren and towards Bridge before giving the lead over to Highlander.
By the time Nike was pulling we could see we were gaining on at least two riders and we were closing fast. Hornet took the lead next and about 300 yards before Lakeview was had caught Dura Max and past just before the light before the gas station. We took a short break and our group continued on towards the lake as Dura Max headed for Menifee. I led the way up the hill and started to pull us over the first hill when Surgeon decided to turn on Burnisconi and head in the back way to the lake. We headed through the back gate and started for the bike path.
We decided to take our break at the Marina and talked and had something to drink while we looked out over the lake. We are lucky to live where we do with three lakes within easy cycling distance. And they all have a nice view and a place to sit and look at them while taking a break.
Finally we started to get restless and got ready for the ride home. By now the sky was clear and blue and we knew we should have a good run back down Ramona expressway. Finally after everyone was re-gloved and re-helmeted we got back on the bikes and headed for the bike trail we were lucky to leave when we did because Nike looked like she was planning on gathering up as many squirrels as she could carry and bring them back home. We got up a pretty good head of steam heading towards the east end of the lake and I started thinking about hitting the Lake Paris TT pretty hard.
As soon as we got through the trees and past the last picnic area I hit it and took off for the TT run. I was doing pretty well till I had to make the turn back west and ran chest first into a head wind. I got down in the drops but still couldn’t get up over 19 or 20 for the rest of the way to the hill and then to the road leading out of the park. I didn’t move up much on the list but at least I knew I had given it a try. I waited till everyone caught up before we started back out onto Ramona Expressway.
Now the fun started as we headed east and had two Strava segments coming up. I took us past the stop light on the other side of Lakeview and Highlander took over from me about 200 yards later. We weren’t running flat out but then everyone was holding their own until Bridge Street where I pulled out front again and kicked it up just a little bit. I got us to Warren and then picked it up again so we could make the light green when Hornet past me and ran hard towards Sanderson. I got around him and dropped the hammer to see how quickly we could make it to Sanderson. Highlander pretty much stayed with me till we made the right turn and everyone closed in again as we jogged over to Ramona Road and headed for Lyon. We took turns till we turned on Lyon and headed south. Hornet left us around Esplanda and we continued on with an average speed of more than 17MPH.
We turned onto Latham and headed for the Pep Boy parking lot and then to where the cars were parked. Everyone agreed it was a great ride and we talked for a few minutes before I left for home and a hot shower before lunch. I had no complaints about the ride and was rather pleased with how well everyone did. I am glad to know these people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment