By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It was another perfect morning as I looked out at a clear blue sky first thing today. We had very little if any wind and it was much cooler than it was yesterday. I had a rather casual ride planned for the group and depending on who and how many people showed up I expected everything to go according to plan. When I arrived at Burger king there were only two other riders sitting in the shade. We waited quite a while before anyone else pulled up. But by 8:30 we had eight riders and they seemed eager to hit the road.

As we traveled west on Acacia and then south on Kirby many of us spent the time chatting and getting warmed up. There were no real defined groups at this point and we stayed pretty well mixed up as we pulled through the housing tract on Cypress. T-3 was in cruise mode as we pulled out onto Johnston and caught the light at Sanderson. On Once we headed south on Sanderson things started to stretch out a bit and soon Blood Hound was running out in front of us as we turned west on Domenigoni. Before long Attack Cat pulled around and started to give chase and with a small amount of grumbling some of the A riders started to follow. Dura-max, T-3 and I just kept it on cruise control and regrouped with everyone on top of the saddle. A quick break and we were heading down towards Menifee.

Once we made it to Menifee Blood Hound continued to pull away in an attempt to place some distance between us so he could make a quick pit stop on Scott Road. The group decided not to let him get too far away and pulled up behind him in the short steep hill just past Holland. I pulled up to make sure we had everyone and the group broke into two with Huntress, Dura-max, T-3 and I followed Gambler, D’Artagnon, Blood Hound and Attack cat to Scott road.

The group fractured a bit more as the front four stopped at the freeway and the rest of us headed for Haun. Gambler and D’Artagnon caught up and we received a call saying Attack Cat and Blood Hound were on their way so we continued on towards Newport. I have to admit I was impressed with the pace the six of us were setting and we turned onto Newport and then Bradley and were close to McCall when Huntress got a flat. While she was changing the tire Attack Cat and Blood Hound caught up and stopped while we waited for the repair to be completed.

Once we were back on our way we split into two parts again because half of us got caught at a light. Huntress threw a chain and we fell a bit further behind but finally we were on our way to Chris’s. We took turns pulling east on Simpson and from Leon T-3 pulled us all the way to Winchester. It was too hot to sit outside so we took the time to cool off and visit in the air conditioning before heading for home. After we turned onto Stowe I watched as Gambler and D’Artagnon put their heads down and started to pull away as they often do. Dura-max, Highlander, T-3 and I stayed together till we got to Sanderson where we split up and two of us went south and two went north. I got home with 40 miles on the computer and got in the house just before the thermometer hit 100 degrees. Perfect timing for a good day and a good ride.

No comments:
Post a Comment