By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Summer is finally here and it was like someone flipped a switch and turned up the thermostat. I looked out at zero early thirty and it was clear with absolutely no wind. It was also already 60 plus degrees. I took two water bottles out of the refrigerator and put them on my bike before sitting down for one last cup of coffee before heading to Burger King.
When I pulled into the parking lot only Dura-max and Wolf were waiting in the shade on the north end. Soon however T-3 and Huntress arrived and not long after that Cycobob. Raptor pulled in just after Attack Cat giving us a rather lop sided group of six B group riders and only one of the As. To me it was a perfect day for the killer Bs ride.

We took off for Acacia at a rather relaxed pace and both Huntress and T-3 stayed close to the front of the group as we turned onto Acacia and then again on Kirby before heading west on Cypress towards Johnston. As I looked back at the group I started to daydream about how our group reminded me of a group of bombers flying a sortie over Europe. Six of us were in close formation and one fighter escort.

As we headed south on Sanderson towards Domenigoni I thought everyone looked rather relaxed, well except Attack Cat who always looks like he is straining at the leash. After we turned east, towards State Street, Attack Cat pulled away to make a run at the Boat ramp hill. The rest of us stayed together in a tight pack and continued on to State. I pulled to McSweeney and T-3 pulled us to the Golf Course. I had already let it be known I didn’t plan to push today so that I could climb to Idyllwild with some of the A riders tomorrow. It didn’t matter because Wolf kept trying to bait me into a sprint and I kept backing off. It is so good to have friends to help you out like that. We all made it to the end of Cactus Valley road and then started back to begin the run east to Fairview.

We made it back to State and then over to Stetson smoothly and rather quickly with Huntress pulling us all the way to Chambers. We split up at Columbia and T-3 went straight while most of the rest of us headed for Crest and Thornton. Once back on Crest we chatted and moved east towards Lake.

It was a smooth quick trip down Stetson till we got to Fairview. We turned south towards Wilson Mesa and I saw T-3 heading back towards Florida. I flipped a quick turn and followed her all the way to Carl’s where we met up with the rest of the group and Raptor. We took a short break for coffee and conversation before we headed for Lincoln and home.

As we got back to Park Dura-max headed for home and the rest of us worked our way back to Columbia and jumped over to Devonshire. We cruised west on Devonshire with Huntress up front much as she had been at the start of the ride. I am afraid at the rate she is improving I will be losing her to the A group before the summer is over.

We finally turned onto Santa Fe and then Latham for the final stretch to Burger King. We caught the light red at State and then moved on towards Palm. We discussed the ride and the weather and once T-3 pulled up next to me we decided to break off on Lyon and head for home.

As T-3 and I moved down Lyon Cycobob, Wolf and Huntress rode back to Burger King to pick up their vehicles. It was getting warm and we had to start thinking about starting our rides earlier. By the time I got home we had 35 miles on the computer and my average Heart Rate was only 117. All in all it was a pretty relaxed day and one where the whole B group stayed together for the whole ride. Not bad for a easy Wednesday.

No comments:
Post a Comment