Monday, June 6, 2011

6/06/2011
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)



When I got up this morning it looked like the street was wet but not my sidewalk and not my driveway. The sky was overcast but there were patches of blue showing to the west and it was relatively warm. By the time I had breakfast and got my kit on it was a beautiful morning. I took off for Burger King feeling good and ready for a nice easy ride. By the time I pulled up to the parking lot I could see we would have a pretty good sized group and people looked ready to ride. For the forth ride in a row we had at least 16 riders ready to go at 8:30. Raptor and T-3 left early and the rest of us took off right at 8:30 and made our way over to Lyon heading north towards Ramona Expressway.


For some reason we were moving pretty quickly down Lyon and in a relatively short time we were turning onto Ramona Road and heading for Sanderson. Looking behind me I could see that Highlander, Blood Hound and Surgeon were going to be running over me all day. There seems to be something about a day like today that turns most of the group into Lon Chaney Jr. during a full moon. Instead of Wolves they turn into dogs and start to run like they are chasing a rabbit. I had planned today to be a test ride for a new bike one of the riders was trying out. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to hang on at all as we moved towards Sanderson and then turned towards the light on Ramona Expressway.

Once the light changed and we turned west towards Warren the chase was on. I started to get caught up in the mood of the weredogs but managed to hold back and cruise with the B group. Our pace paid off as we noticed a group of riders pulled off to the side of the road about a mile and a half before Lakeview. It turned out the A group wasn’t pulled over trying to devour a fleeing cyclist they had run down but they were stopped to assist Cossack with a flat tire. We took the opportunity to continue on to the little gas station on Lakeview and waited there to regroup before continuing on to Nuevo and then to work our way over to Menifee.

After we turned onto Nuevo and then made the first left I noticed the A group was pulled to the side of the road again. Again Cossack was losing air and needed a quick repair.


We got back on the road and the group didn’t look like it was losing any steam at all. Highlander was still pushing hard and Blood Hound was jumping way out front on his new bike. There was a bit of pressure knowing that RCMP was with us today and he is always a strong rider. Still I was feeling pretty good and the group was still all in one piece.

Once on Menifee we splintered into at least three groups and once again I watched Gambler, D’Artagnon, Wolf and Cossack pull away. I started to Pull Highlander, Vortex (Dennis) Surgeon and Blood Hound in a effort to keep the A group in sight. We did pretty well until we got to the light at Florida and Briggs where we got stopped and watched them fade into the housing tract. I pulled as hard as I could and after we got most of the way through the housing tract ourselves we came upon the A group once more. This time Gambler was down with a flat and had to repair it.


Sometimes when someone is fixing a flat I think we look like a county road crew with ten guys standing around and one working. This time one or two of us took off as soon as the tire was fixed and got a head start on the dog pack. About six of us turned onto Grand before the A group got there and we stayed out front till we got to Leon where we lost Cossack and Wolf who were heading for home.

We had our traditional dash down the dump road and most of us turned to stop at Chris’s for coffee and conversation. Most of the conversation was about what a great day it had turned out to be. In fact I think the ride had been so good we decided to leave Chris’s a lucky enough to have RCMP pulling so we made it almost all the way to Waren before D’Artagnon and the Weredogs caught us. Once they passed I caught a back wheel and they pulled us all the way to the airport.

I ended up chasing Blood Hound and RCMP all the way back to Kirby where the rest of the group closed on us and we all split up to go our separate ways. Highlander, Surgeon, Vortex and I made it to Burger King together where we found Dura-max, Ocelot and Tax man refreshing and waiting for us. Double Time pulled in last and we talked for a few minutes before we too headed for home. I had a very quick 38 miles on the clock when I got home and I have to admit I was still feeling pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment