Monday, June 13, 2011

6/13/2011
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)



In most cases I look forward to Monday rides because I miss being on the bike for two days. Sometimes I even scheme against the A group to make the ride more interesting for them. Today all of the Scheming can around to bite me. I didn’t see it coming as I pulled into the parking lot this morning so I was still in a pretty relaxed mood as everyone showed up.


Highlander was pretty chipper and we turned off of Acacia and headed south on Kirby. Lately he has been accompanied by one or two wingmen in Vortex or Anthony. Today it was Vortex and he looked eager to push the pace first chance he got. I had planned on sending the A group out about five miles farther so they could try and catch us before we got to Carl’s on Newport. However the A group decided to stay with the B group and that would increase the pace as well.

We did fine holding the pace line together till we got to Winchester Road. Gambler, Bandit, Blood Hound, Highlander, Vortex, T-3 and Surgeon took off for the Saddle with Dura-max, Ocelot, Tax man and I trailing. I hit the bottom of the hill about the time Highlander crested it and joined everyone else for the regroup at the top for a short break to hydrate and take a shot of Gel Pack.

Once everyone was ready we started off down the back side of the saddle heading for the Carl’s on Newport and Murrieta. I knew we would lose Tax Man at Lindenburger but I didn’t expect the whole group to push very hard down Newport. But push they did and soon we were past Lindenburger and heading for Antelope.

I didn’t take a picture after we crossed over the freeway thinking I would have plenty of opportunities once we regrouped at Carl’s. Little did I know I simply would have my hands full from Murrieta all the way to Chris’s! Blood Hound had an appointment so he left us at Carl’s and once we got back on the road only T-3, Highlander and I made the light at Newport and Murrieta. It didn’t matter because the rest of the group caught up to us as we turned onto Goetz. Gambler and Bandit passed me and headed for the top of Goetz while Surgeon and Vortex stuck to me like a trailer till just before the top where st Vortex came around me to crest the hill first.

Once we started down the hill Surgeon, Gambler, Bandit and Vortex simply dropped us and headed for Murrieta and McCall. I managed to catch up to Highlander, T-3, Dura-max and Ocelot and followed the fleeting jersey of Surgeon all the way to the Valero Station on McCall. I followed Gambler and Bandit to the top of McCall but they didn’t stop so I waited till everyone crested the hill and we found them waiting for us on Simpson. It seems as if you simply can’t keep the two animals down and they flew by us once more before Leon. At least I knew where they were going and Chris’s wasn’t that far so we could regroup and converse before heading for home.


As if by some signal we all stood up about the same time and got ready to head back to Hemet. I was pretty far back in the pack as we headed north on Winchester and the pace was such that I couldn’t get in front till we were on Stowe. Still Surgeon was pretty far out front but I did have enough steam left to get a shot of T-3 getting ready to pass me heading for California Street.

The big dogs raced by once more and I followed at a respectful distance till we rounded the turn on California. At that point Surgeon and Vortex passed me and turned onto Stetson while Highlander, Dura-max, Ocelot, T-3 and I followed till we got to the airport and finally stopped at Sanderson. T-3 broke for home on Sanderson while the rest of us continued on to Lowes before making our way to Acacia and then back to Burger King where we talked once more before going our separate way home. I had more than 45 quick miles on the computer when I got home. I had far more of a workout than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment