Monday, July 27, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
After a pretty successful week last week I was looking forward to this week and kicking up my effort a notch. Last week I kept things in one 3 most of the time and felt good both in breathing and chest pain. So this week I wanted to push into zone 4 and see if there was any discomfort that I might have to report to my doctor. So I planned a little 40 miler and got ready for it for Monday with a good breakfast of oatmeal and cranberries before heading to the parking lot to meet Digger.
Digger and Dragon Slayer were already there when I arrived and Highlander followed a few minutes later. Bugler arrived followed by Tax Man and that was it. We had a small group but one that should be easy to keep together. We decided that it was just the six of us were riding today so we headed out to Latham and over to Lyon to start the day. we started north on Lyon and made an easy few blocks on what turned out to be a nice cool morning.
As I had all week last week I followed Dragon Slayer as he led the group north past Esplanade and then Seventh Street before heading for Cottonwood. It feels rather nice sitting in the draft for five miles as we head past Cottonwood and then turn on Ramona Boulevard to head west towards Sanderson. Dragon Slayer was having trouble with his cadence counter so we stopped while he checked it out. Tax Man took off early followed by Highlander and Digger. Finally we followed and I pulled us up to Digger just as we got to Sanderson and pulled in behind Tax Man.
When the light on the Expressway changed Tax Man started us west and headed for Warren. Highlander gave him a break ill we got to the first Dairy driveway took the where Digger lead. Dragon Slayer moved up front and pulled us to Bridge Street to head north.
We stayed together pretty well as we rolled through the dip at the corner where the road veers towards Gilman Springs. As we made the turn someone yelled that there was a car back and we would have to form a single line. Since I had to sprint to the front anyway I just put my head down and headed away from the group and watched my heart rate move from zone 2 to zone 3 as I hit 24mph. The rest of the group didn’t respond so I continued on till I got into zone 4 and found myself still breathing well and relatively pain free. So I sat us and saw that I had 200 yards on everyone as we slowed for the Gilman Bridge corner.
Once we had all regrouped Highlander started us east on Gilman towards Sanderson. He led the way almost all the way to the top of the grade before the first downhill where Dragon slayer took over the pull. We dropped down the roller and started up the next grade with dragon Slayer setting the pace till we crested and I came around on the downhill. We dropped down to Sanderson and stopped under the bridge before continuing on towards State and Soboba. I pulled till we got to the climb in front of the Scientology compound where I had to get out of the saddle to get to the top. Dragon Slayer took that opportunity to attack me and streaked by on my right heading for Soboba. I was beat fair and square and Bugler pulled up on my back wheel. I pulled him to Soboba and we regrouped again.
As soon as we were all back together we took off again and headed east on Soboba towards the two rollers and the golf course. I pulled to the first roller before Dragon Slayer took over and took the climb first.
As we crested the first roller and headed for the second Dragon Slayer picked up the pace a bit and had me rolling on his wheel in zone 3 with Bugler and Highlander on our wheel. Dragon slayer crested the last roller and we had a slight gap on Bugler and Highlander. They closed back in as Dragon Slayer pulled us towards the rise at the Driving range. After being aced on Gilman I felt it was only justified to wait till Dragon Slayer shifted and then launch my own attack and head for the hill in front of the golf course. This broke up the group but I got a great jump on Dragon Slayer and thought he had given up and decided to just pull the other two to the golf course. Good thing I had a mirror because he not only hadn’t given up he was charging after me. However my lead was just too much and I crested first only to go into my typical Soboba Road cough. Pollen grows somewhere on Soboba that just loves to get to me.
Soon Bugler caught up to us and we headed for Main Street and Ramona to head east to Cranston Station. We waited just around the corner till everyone made the turn and then headed east towards Cedar and the cut over to Florida. Highlander and Tax Man abandoned the ride at Hemet Street so it was just four of us heading to Cedar.
Dragon slayer and Bugler led us to Florida and east. Digger fell off at the light as first Dragon Slayer then Bugler took a turn at the front. Once in the trees it was my turn and as I pulled by Bugler he fell off. He simply pulled too long and didn’t have any matches left when I pulled by. Dragon Slayer fell back and pulled him up as we started up the slight grade to Cranston. Dragon Slayer took the last pull and got us to the water fountain for a regroup.
We started back down Florida and headed for Casino to get Dragon Slayer’s Garmin working before heading back west. We decided to head all the way to Healthy pub for a recovery smoothie before coming back to Burger king and the cars. I left the group there and headed for home and a hot shower feeling good about the ride.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment