Friday, July 17, 2015

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) It was Friday and I had been looking for this day all week. To tell the truth I was tired and had been pushing for the last few weeks thinking that I might ride the Big Bear Ride with CAS in August. In fact the Monday morning and Monday night rides were tapping into in energy reserves and leaving me pretty tired on the Wednesday rides. This week was no different. So I had a simple out and back planned and had a full breakfast to get ready. I got to the parking lot to meet Digger about the same time as Earth Dog arrived. We didn’t have long to wait for Highlander followed closely by Anaconda. I had no idea how many people would join us today or if the Big Dogs were going to join us but two of the whippets did show up when ME-109 and Ferret arrived. At last Quicksilver joined us and at first that looked like the whole group but at the last moment Barracuda joined us relegating me to the middle of the pack speed wise. Still I took us down Gilmore and headed for Acacia.
At this early stage I was feeling pretty good and thought this might turn into a good cruise as we headed to Kirby and then south to Cypress. As we weaved through the housing tract Quicksilver pulled up next to me and we talked easily as we turned out onto Johnston and to the light on Sanderson. We were still together as we turned south towards Stetson and rode by Wally World. By the time we got to Mustang Quicksilver took the lead and pulled us to Domenigoni. She was still in the lead as we headed west towards Warren and I was more than content to draft off of her. Before the rise ME-109 and Ferret went by with Minotaur on their wheel and they quickly over took a rider to our front when I fell back to talk to Barracuda. By the time we got to Warren the fleeing threesome was pulling away from us and we pulled up next to the lone rider I had seen earlier. The rider turned out to be Shooter and he dropped back as I took over the pull. Barracuda took the lead and pulled us over the dry wash and well on our way towards Winchester. I was impressed with the group I saw behind me and it looked like Highlander was right with us. Then Shooter rolled by and things got kicked up a notch. As we headed towards Winchester we noticed the Whippets had dropped a rider off of their back. It turned out to be Minotaur and Shooter was zeroed in on him. By this time the group had splintered so the Shooter was leading Barracuda and me with two riders following me. I took a pull and just before the saddle gave to lead back to Barracuda and followed him over the saddle and to the gas station on Menifee. What may have impressed me the most may have been that Quicksilver was on my wheel all the way to the saddle even after Minotaur dropped off? But soon we were regrouping at the corner and getting ready for the rest of the trip through Rail Road Canyon.
As we moved west from Menifee the group got totally split up. Digger and Earth dog got an early start and both Shooter and Barracuda went with them followed by Minotaur. I followed with Quicksilver, Anaconda and Highlander. This meant I was going to do a lot of pulling and I started to regret the pace line we had from Warren to the Saddle. Still I was doing ok except my chest felt tight and congested. As long as I took deep breaths I could maintain my pace and pull my little group towards Murrieta.
As we crossed Murrieta and got to the top of the rise I could see Digger starting up the hill into railroad. I kept the pace up and dragged the little group to Goetz where Highlander left and we found Shooter waiting. When we hit the first climb both Quicksilver and I got out of the saddle but weren’t able to stay wit Shooter. Soon I dropped Quicksliver and she dropped Anaconda. I crested a bit behind Shooter and headed for the first stop light to see Digger and Earth Dog out in front of me. I caught the light red but was able to catch Digger at the next light before taking off in pursuit of Earth Dog. I got another red light and was about 50 yards behind Earth Dog dropping down the first hill. Earth Dog flatted at the bottom of the first hill and I continued on leaving him to Digger. After the second drop off I spotted Minotaur with a flat and Shooter assisting him so I continued on again meeting Barracuda, ME-109 and Ferret at Mickey Ds. We all regrouped eventually and after a brief break headed back east through the Canyon. I got out onto the street with Earth Dog this time and followed him as we got close to the first long climb through the canyon. When Barracuda and Minotaur pulled in front I went with them. The two whippets were long gone as I trained Minotaur and Barracuda. Shooter was between us and Ferret and I finally lost Barracuda’s wheel was we past Minotaur . Shooter waited at the top of the hill and picked up everyone but Digger and dragged them up to me at the light by Stater Brothers. I managed to start up the last climb before they caught me but when I got out of the saddle shooter came by with Minotaur on his wheel. I had to stay on it to get back by Minotaur and over the last hill first. I headed down the other side and made it to Goetz before my lungs started to scream at me like I was breathing through a pain mask. I checked my Heart rate and it was good but it felt like I had asthma and had to baack down as Shooter brought the rest of the group up to and past me. I followed them to Murrieta and then stopped to catch my breath. Minotaur stayed with me till we got to Antelope and Digger finally caught up at Menifee. We lost him at the saddle again and I was feeling a lot better as we waited for Digger at Winchester. I drafted off of Minotaur till we got back to the dry wash before I told him to go on and I would ride with Digger. We rode together taking turns pulling all the way back to Sanderson and north. I led the rest of the way to Acacia and then Gilmore before joining the rest of the group at Burger King. There was some concern over my breathing problems but I assured them I could make it home and felt I could recover by resting over the weekend. I did feel better after a hot shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment