Wednesday, July 22, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
After a rather tense ride Monday I was pretty tentative about the ride today. It had to be a bit longer because it was a Wednesday ride but I wasn’t sure how well I was going to do. One thing I had promised myself was I would take it easy and allow someone else to pull no matter where we went. So we mapped out Murrieta 40 and planned on a west ride with four small climbs. I was feeling rested and pretty strong so I had a warm breakfast and headed for the parking lot to meet Digger.
Like I expected Digger was already there and I went in to get a cold drink, I was passing on coffee just to make sure the caffeine wasn’t what spoiled my Monday ride. We stood and talked till Bloodhound rode up and we were also joined by Highlander. While we were all talking Gambler arrived followed by Joshua, (Bugler) Tax Man, Hacker and Quicksilver. Not a big group but we expected more to join us on Domenigoni. We left close to 8am and headed for Acacia.
As soon as we got to Acacia Digger took the lead and pulled us to Kirby. As we turned the corner Digger led again but joined by Quicksilver as I slowly moved back in the pack. The pace was pretty reasonable as we crossed the railroad tracks and turned onto Cypress and headed for Johnston. We pulled up to the light on Sanderson and headed south towards Stetson with Digger, Bloodhound, Tax Man and Highlander leading the way.
I fell in line and followed the group first to Mustang and then to Domenigoni and started west. I was lucky to be about three riders back as we headed over the rise and started towards Warren. After Bloodhound pulled away from us Gambler took over our pull and took us to Warren and over the dry wash. We were cruising at a good 21 or 22 mph as we closed in on Winchester. After crossing on a green light we noticed Bandit, Shooter and Jay coming east and crossing the road. Once they joined us the pace picked up a bit and we were pushing 23 or 24 all the way to the saddle were we spread out over the climb and down the back side to head to the gas station on Menifee and Domenigoni for a hydration break.
As we were talking at the gas station Gambler informed me that the A riders would be going straight once they got to Scott where the rest of us would be turning west. Quicksilver, Digger, Highlander, Tax Man and I headed south towards Revival hill on the other side of Holland with Quicksilver setting the pace. It was strange to be sitting in the draft all day but it was also pretty relaxing. Highlander and Tax Man turned on Holland and headed for Antelope while Quicksilver and I followed the big dogs up Revival and Digger fell back. Quicksilver then pulled me all the way to Scott and pointed us west. Digger was about 300 yards behind us as we crossed Antelope and topped the freeway. Tax Manand Highlander pulled around the corner before Digger got there and followed Quicksilver and me as we turned onto Haun and headed north. Highlander caught us about halfway to Holland and as Quicksilver and I turned west Highlander and Tax Man headed for home.
Once Digger caught up to us Quicksilver took us towards the little hill in front of Murrieta. Digger was passed at Bradley and I chased Quicksilver up the hill and then back down to Murrieta before heading north back towards Newport. As we climbed the rise and dropped down towards Newport we noticed Hacker and Bugler waiting at the Chevron for us. We stopped for more water before heading north on Murrieta.
We were cruising along nice and easy as we crossed by the park and headed over the river crossing and the first stop light. As we looked back we noticed the Big dogs were coming up behind us after making a big loop to the south of us and coming back north to catch us.
We all rode together north till we got past Cherry Hill and then turned east on McCall. Bloodhound once again pulled away from us and I followed Quicksilver as she chased him towards Bradley. Bloodhound made it through the light as did Quicksilver and I but the rest of the group got stuck at the red. Quicksilver wasn’t able to keep up with Bloodhound but we were now two or three light in front of the rest of the group so we started up Hospital hill with no one behind us. We didn’t see Bloodhound as we topped the hill and I chased Quicksilver down the back side on Hospital hill and to Menifee. Just past the light we stopped to wait for everyone. Jay, Bandit and Shooter left us at Heritage so Gambler pulled us to Lindenburger and east on Simpson. He took us all the way to Leon before leaving for Domenigoni and letting Quicksilver pull us to Winchester and then Winchester Farms for our last regroup. Once we were all together we headed east on Stowe and started for home.
Once again I followed Quicksilver all the way to California and then down to Stetson and headed east. I did take the lead till we got to Warren and then gave it back to Quicksilver till we got to Cawston. We rode through the Industrial park and out onto Sanderson for the turn north back to Acacia and then over Kirby to Gilmore and back to Burger King. There was nothing too fast about today’s ride but it was 40 miles of pain free cycling for me and a bit of relief from the last two rides.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment