Wednesday, February 26, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Well we all knew the weather was about to change so I suggested a shorter ride with a bit of climbing and some hot coffee in the middle. Today we were going to ride through Lamb’s Canyon and head to Beaumont. Because Monday had been so nice I was thinking today would be close to the same. How wrong I turned out to be. I got up and looked outside and all I saw was clouds and a light fog like mist handing over the street. So I put on arm and leg warmers and my D V V jersey and shorts and headed for the door. I didn’t make it to the street before I went back for my Jacket. Still I left for Burger King early and managed to get there first. Digger pulled up just as I was getting ready to walk in to get coffee and we decided to sit inside where it was warm to see if anyone else would be joining us. Papillon sent me a text saying he was on his way. At first I thought that maybe it was going to be just digger and me but a new rider, Daniel, rode up and joined us. A few minutes later Huntress arrived followed by Papillon, and Phil and that looked like all we were going to get. So we got ready and headed out to Latham and went over to Lyon and headed north.
There wasn’t much going on as we headed for Ramona Boulevard and the new rider, Daniel was have little or no difficulty staying with us as we passed Esplanade, Seventh and Cottonwood. Daniel and I got caught by some traffic at Cottonwood and the group had to wait for us just before Ramona Boulevard. To my surprise the one leading the front group was Digger. Digger Huntress and Papillon led us west on Ramona all the way to Sanderson before we headed north again. I regrouped us again just past Gilman Springs and let Huntress and Digger leave first followed by Phil and Daniel and last but not least Papillon and me. I got call and had to stop for a moment and Papillon got away passing Phil and Daniel. It took me most of the way to the top of the first climb to catch Digger and half way down to the dump to catch Huntress. I never had a chance to catch Papillon and he joined me at the top of the last climb and circled back to follow Huntress for a regroup at 1st Street. I had to send Papillon back down to check on Phil and Daniel. Phil caught up to us and we waited not knowing that Daniela was having a problem with his read derailleur. Huntress and I headed for Starbucks and by the time we had ordered coffee the rest of the group arrived.
It was still a bit cool to go without a jacket but we sat outside and talked for a while getting to know each other better or catching up on the last week’s events for each household. Phil had to leave first and once the rest of us finished our coffee, or Cocoa in Huntress’s case we got ready to head back down the hill.
In effect the ride is pretty much over once we leave Starbucks. All we have to do is go west on 1st street and turn south on Lamb’s canyon and we have a long downhill that takes us almost all the way back to the expressway. I pulled down the first hill and Huntress pulled to the last hill where I took over again and dropped like a rock back down to Gilman. Huntress left us at Gilman and we had a short regroup at the expressway and Sanderson. We rode down to Ramona Boulevard towards State to get back to where we started.
This was a ride of first for Daniel. It was his longest ride since getting his bike. It was the first bike ride up Lambs Canyon and one of his few group rides. For all of that he was doing pretty good even if he was showing himself to be a bit tired as we turned onto Lyon and heading for home. Digger stayed to pace him and Papillon and I moved on down to Menlo where I stopped to wait for Digger and Daniel. Papillon had an appointment so we said goodbye and he headed off. I waited till Digger turned on Menlo and Daniel and I rode to the Bike shop on my way home. Daniel decided to have some adjustments made so I headed for home. I was pleased with the ride and glad the rain never materialized.

No comments:

Post a Comment