Monday, February 17, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) All I knew was it was Monday and a Holiday. I didn’t know it was Bulldozer’s birthday. Still I had planned an easy flat ride so that Barracuda could bring his restored Lejuene Sprint bike and we could see he restored wooden rims. I headed to Burger King and had coffee with Digger and Highlander waiting to see just who would show up. Soon Bloodhound and Bulldozer arrived with Dragon Slayer and Sasquatch. While we were talking RCMP rode up as did Newsboy and Barracuda on the promised Blue Lejuene.
We were waiting for Papillon when Phil. (Huffnpuff) pulled up. Finally, better late than never Papillon arrived. We stood around and fully inspected the Lejuene before getting ready to head out on our flat ride to Domenigoni, Lindenburger, Menifee and back on Ramona expressway. It was just after 9am as we pulled out onto Latham and headed to Lyon.
We needed to get south on Lyon and cross Florida to work our way down to Johnston and then Stetson. Bloodhound was out in front by quite a bit when Highlander asked if we could get to State Street by some other street other than Thornton. I figured because it was a holiday we could give Chambers a try so I pulled up to Bloodhound and told him to head to the end of Lyon and turn left towards State. I forgot the Chambers is one wat for three blocks after we turned off of Lyon but once again because of the holiday there were no cars coming at us. We made it to State and started to Domenigoni with Bloodhound in the lead again.
Shortly after turning on Domenigoni someone told me we had lost two riders so I turned back and found Newsboy changing a flat tire. I helped him change it ad we used my pump to get him back on the road before trying to join the some of the group waiting for us. Bloodhound never stopped and Highlander and Digger he left before Newboy and I rounded the corner onto Domenigoni. They were followed by Huffnpuff and Sasquatch. Newsboy and I worked hard to catch up to Barracuda, RCMP, Papillon, Bulldozer and Dragon Slayer and once we did catch them Newsboy followed Bulldozer and Dragon Slayer while I stayed with Barracuda, RCMP and Papillon. That was the way it stayed as we crossed Warren and over the dry wash. I was very impressed with Barracuda and the Lejuene as we headed for Winchester. We had been holding 22 MPH because he was on a Fixie and he passed me doing 23 or 24. I fell in behind RCMP and we followed them to Winchester where Barracuda and RCMP turned for Simpson and Papillon and I worked our way to the Saddle to pick up the rest of the group. I planned on a short regroup and then a quick cruise to Lindenburger to catch Barracuda and RCMP at Simpson. We got to the light just before they did and then rode on to Heritage and finally to the AM/PM for a water break and regroup.
When it was time to leave I noticed Bloodhound wasn’t with us and he sent me a text that he had taken a different route and would see us Wednesday. Highlander left first and was through the light before the rest of us even pulled out onto Menifee. Only three of us made it through the light before everyone else caught a red. Newsboy, Digger and I waited while Highlander faded into the distance. Soon we were joined by the rest of the group and Dragon Slayer, Bulldozer and Sasquatch pulled by me and picked up the pace. I hooked up on Sasquatch’s wheel and followed the fleeing threesome past Mapes and got ready for the fast down slope run to Central. I pulled by Dragon Slayer and stayed there most of the way to the stop sign where Newsboy pulled by followed by Bulldozer and Dragon Slayer with RCMP not far behind. I had to play catch up almost all of the way to Central where I took the pull again and finally Newsboy pulled around once more. Bulldozer ran him down and we all turned onto Nuevo just ahead of Huffnpuff and Digger. Dragon Slayer and Bulldozer were onto Lakeview at least 100 yards before the rest of us so we waited for Huffnpuff and digger before heading north towards the Valero station. We passed Dragon slayer fixing a flat but he waved us on so we went to the Valero and waited for Bulldozer.
Once we were all back together Bulldozer led us out onto Ramona expressway and east towards Sanderson. I was on his wheel until Highlander informed me we were dropping everyone so I backed off only to have RCMP, Newsboy, Barracuda, Papillon and Sasquatch pass me. I got back on again only to see three riders fall off the back. I pulled over to collect them just before Bridge and pulled them to Sanderson for another regroup.
We headed for Ramona Boulevard and Bulldozer pulled us back to Lyon where he left us to go home. As we rounded the corner to head south on Lyon Sasquatch started the pull for home. When he slowed a bit I took over the pull and commented that somehow we had managed to run into a head wind from every direction we had gone today. But as Dragon Slayer says it is only a training aid. We could still manage 16 or 17 even with the wind in my face so we continued on towards Esplanade.
Digger must have left us before we rolled by Esplanade because I didn’t see him when I looked back to see who was following me. I knew I still had Newsboy, Highlander, Sasquatch, Huffnpuff, Papillon, RCMP and Barracuda. So I stayed out front till we got to Fruitvale and gave things up to Newsboy and Highlander. A few minutes later we turned onto Latham and back to Burger King to break up and head for home. I got back in time to take my dog for a walk and a hot shower. All I can say now is Happy Birthday Bulldozer.

No comments:

Post a Comment