Wednesday, February 19, 2014
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It has become a tradition for winter riding that Wednesday is one of our more challenging ride days. Our Bling Team had asked for a bit of a climb and they wanted to go to Strawberry creek and back. So I posted the ride and got plenty of rest so I could be fresh and ready for the assault that both Quicksilver and Huntress more than likely hit me with. So I got up early and had a good breakfast and put on my club kit before heading to Burger King.
Digger was waiting and much to my surprise Highlander showed up. Next Bloodhound and Sasquatch rode up. Gambler and Bulldozer arrived followed by Quicksilver and Huntress. Last but not least Red Rabbit joined us and we were ready to head out to Latham and make our way north on Lyon to work our way east towards the mountains.
I knew we wouldn’t get many pictures today because once we were on the hill either going up or coming down I wouldn’t have much time to take any. So I sat back and simply enjoyed the ride up Lyon and followed Bloodhound and some of the others past esplanade and towards Cottonwood. Finally we made the jog onto Ramona Boulevard and started towards State Street.
It didn’t take us long to work our way east towards State and the A group was taking it easy as we did so. Finally we got to the light on State and got ready to head north again to make our way to Soboba. We did have to make a quick stop at Mickey Ds before we got back on the road and Bloodhound left with Highlander on his wheel as we crossed the Expressway. I found myself at the back of the pack as we rode by the college and was almost dropped when Quicksilver increased their spin going over the bridge before the turn onto Soboba. Highlander pulled out of the pace line and was going to
Go back and pull Highlander and Digger up to the Bling team and Sasquatch. The A group was long gone by then and I didn’t think it was going to be worth the matches to catch them. But soon I pulled in on the Bling team and by the second roller we caught Sasquatch. I went around him before the top of the roller and Huntress hooked on like a trailer as I headed for the Golf Course. Huntress stayed with me till I got to the very last little climb. We regrouped at the end of the golf course and collected the stragglers.
It didn’t take long for Highlander, Sasquatch and Digger to catch us and we took a little time to shed some jackets and arm warmers before we headed off again towards the turn at the river crossing.
The A group was long gone by this point so I took over pulling duties and got us over the river bridge and onto Ramona to head back to Cedar and then onto Fairview to make our way to Florida and east to the fire Station. We caught Red Rabbit just before Cranston where we regrouped. Somehow the girls talked both Highlander and Rabbit into heading to Strawberry Creek so they went with us as Quicksilver started up the hill. We didn’t get more than a mile or two up the road before Quicksilver opened a gap on the rest of the group. It took a while buy I caught up to her and just as we got to the passing lane I went by and headed for Strawberry alone. As I rounder the corner at the passing lane I noticed the A group plus Papillon heading back down the hill. I settled into an easy cruise and got to the turn out by 11:20 to wait for the rest of the B group. The Bling Team arrived first.
We had time to visit for a few minutes and catch our breath waiting for whoever was going to be next. It was a beautiful morning and for a brief moment I considered heading to Mountain Center before heading home. But before I could put my thoughts into action Highlander arrived.
He was a lot faster than the last time we made this ride. Still he informed Huntress that this was not his favorite ride and he had a new formula for determining time up the hill. Huntress would have to add one minute per year difference in age. By his calculations she had to spot him 30 minutes for the nine mile climb. Huntress took the suggestion under consideration and then replied she thought it would make better fertilizer than a math process. As a smile broke across our faces Digger rode up and he was still smiling.
Huntress had to get back early so she turned for home and Highlander went with her. Digger and I followed with Quicksilver a few minutes later and set up a slow cruise downhill. About 2 miles below Strawberry Creek I noticed Sasquatch on the side of the road with a flat so I had Digger stay with Quicksilver and I stopped to help Sasquatch. Once the tube was replaced we rode to Carl’s to meet Quicksilver and Digger. Sasquatch headed back to Fairview and Digger headed for home with Quicksilver and I heading back to Park and then over to Devonshire and the back to Burger King. Once quicksilver was safely back into her car I headed for home for lunch and a shower. I have to admit I do like that ride.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment