Wednesday, May 8, 2013
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
5/08/13
After a Monday rainout I was pretty itchy to get on my bike and ride with friends. I redid a medium distance ride and worried slightly about the wind. I had no idea how many riders would be joining me but it hardly mattered because as long as one or two of us showed up I was going to give it a try. I had breakfast and got dressed before heading off to Burger King for coffee with Digger.
When I pulled into the parking lot Digger was standing there with coffee for both Highlander and I. The only catch was Highlander is out of action till his frame gets replaced and when Dura Max rolled up Digger discovered he doesn’t drink coffee. We waited for quite a while before Dragon Slayer arrived and for a while it looked like we were it. However MacGyver showed up and we discovered T-3 was going to meet us on the way. Just as we were ready to leave Huntress pulled up and we headed down Gilmore to Acacia.
As warm as it felt standing by the windows at Burger King by the time we were headed towards Kirby the cool air from the west set in. I was glad I still had arm and leg warmers on and wondered if Digger wasn’t just a bit cooler than he planned when he left the house. I was still wondering about that as we turned onto Cypress and joined T-3 heading for Johnston and Sanderson before turning north to Wentworth and west again towards the Airport. We got out onto Stetson and Dura Max pulled us with T-3 all the way to Warren. We stayed together pretty well till we rounded the corner on California. Dragon Slayer and Huntress started to pick up the pace heading for Stowe and Dura Max never turned the corner with T-3. Some of us stopped and waited only to discover Dura Max had a slight mechanical problem with his cadence counter.
Once we were back on our way we found Huntress and Dragon Slayer waiting for us on Stowe. Dragon Slayer took us all the way to the parking lot on Winchester and we stopped to regroup and rehydrate there. It was also a time to remove jackets and arm warmers from those who needed to. I was not one of those and to that point I still was a bit cool. Dura Max and T-3 took off first and pulled us down Winchester to the Dump road. So far we were moving pretty smoothly as we came to and turned the corner onto Grand and headed west once more.
During the summer one of the local bike shops has a TT race on Grand that goes all the way from just before the first curve to Briggs and back. We would be on the first half as we rode past the Wild West bar and Leon to Briggs and then up to the housing tract before catching the light at Florida. Dragon Slayer, MacGyver and Huntress were well ahead of us as we got to the light and Dura Max, T-3, Digger and I had to watch them disappear in the distance as the road to Mapes and fade from view. By the time we got to Mapes they were long done and we still couldn’t see than as I started the pull south on Menifee till we found them waiting for us back at Florida and the gas station. Dura Max and T-3 continued on and we chased them till we caught them at the park on Heritage and Lindenburger.
We then moved over to Domenigoni and climbed the Saddle heading for Winchester. Dragon Slayer stopped to remove his jacket but he caught and passed us as MacGyver pulled us to Warren before pulling away with Huntress to regroup with Dragon Slayer before the rest of us joined him and we headed north on State to Chambers.
We worked our way back out onto Stetson and started east towards Columbia. As we all worked our way east and got to the corner Dura Max and T-3 decided to stay on Stetson after Dura Max notified Digger that his rear wheel was wobbling. We stopped before Thornton to check the wheel only to discover Digger had a broken spoke. I offered to ride slowly with him while Dragon Slayer took MacGyver and Huntress over to Lake agreeing to meet up at Casino to get the spoke fixed. Digger did pretty well nursing the rear wheel on Crest all the way to Lake as we headed to Fairview on Stetson. We just lost sight of the rest of the group as we rounded the corner on Fairview and headed towards Florida. I know how digger felt having to nurse a bad wheel and just hoping another spoke doesn’t break loose.
Huntress, MacGyver and Dragon Slayer we waiting for us as Digger and I pulled into the Casino parking lot and Matt agreed to fix the spoke while we waited. Dura Max and T-3 were already having refreshment at Carl’s and I called him to let him know we had stopped at Casino. MacGyver had to leave first and the rest of us followed about ten minutes later. We made short work of Lincoln and even shorter work of Park till we got to Devonshire and headed west to Santa Fe. Digger and I left Huntress and Dragon Slayer at Palm and I got home with 47 miles on the computer. After lunch and a hot shower I was almost ready for a nap but I had some shopping to do and didn’t even get to download my pictures till after dinner. As they say it was just another day in paradise and I am glad I can share it with friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment