Monday, May 27, 2013

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) 5/27/13 Memorial day is normally one of our better attended ride and even with the A group racing today it was my hope we would have a good turnout for a 60 mile Lake Elsinore loop. The predicted weather was close to perfect so I dressed for a warm day and headed for coffee with Digger about 7:15 this morning. By 8am we had a reasonable group ready to ride down Gilmore and over to Kirby on Acacia. We didn’t have to wait at the light on Kirby and were heading south towards Cypress. We headed towards Cypress nine strong. Ruby Tuesday, T-3, Highlander, Tax Man, Digger, MacGyver, Metric Man and his friend Steve, (Doc Holliday) and me. We turned onto Cypress and moved through the housing tract towards Johnston. This time we caught the light at Johnston and Sanderson. I didn’t know if Metric Man, Doc Holliday and MacGyver were going to stick with the rest of the group as we rolled over Stetson and headed for Mustang. I had nothing to worry about as I took the first pull west on Domenigoni. After the first slight rise I gave it over to Highlander and he pulled us to Warren and over the dry wash. Ruby Tuesday took over and pulled us to Winchester and Metric Man pulled up front and took us to Leon where MacGyver made a run for the Saddle. Doc Holliday caught his back wheel and Metric Man was on Holliday’s. I managed to jump them at the climb and we ended up regrouping at the top. We really didn’t stay on the saddle all that long because it seemed like people were getting itchy to get on the way and head for the Lake. Being Memorial Day we were pretty sure there would be a lot of activities around Lake Elsinore and there would be at least on Motorcycle rally and a five K run. So we dropped off the back side just as Coyote arrived to join us raising our number to ten. Once past Lindenburger we quickly came to and crossed Menifee and then Antelope. When the light changed at Antelope Highlander took off for the over pass like a man on a mission with Tax Man right on his wheel. The rest of us followed at a more sedate pace but got caught at Haun only to watch the two of them fade into the distance. Not that it was a problem because we knew they would be stopping at Carl’s before starting out again to ride past Murrieta and towards Rail Road Canyon. Once we started the climb into Rail Road Canyon the group started to split up. MacGyver and Doc Holliday got the first jump but got caught at a light at the top of the second climb. Highlander and I got the second jump but we got caught at the light on the last climb and the big decent. We all regrouped at the big left past Mickey Ds where a big group from Jax’s was regrouping. We headed south towards Corydon and west towards Grand Ave. Metric Man and Holliday had to stop to refuel on Corydon and Grand while Ruby Tuesday, T-3, Coyote, Highlander and Digger continued on. That left Tax man, MacGyver and I to ride with Holliday and Metric Man on Grand headed towards Riverside Drive. Metric Man pulled us almost all the way there. It only took a few minutes to ride down Riverside to Jack in the Box where we were going to take our coffee break. I was surprised at how well everyone seemed to be doing as we sat and talked for about 15 minutes. As soon as everyone was ready we cleaned up and ready we moved back out and mounted our bikes and headed for Lakeshore Drive and the Town of Elsinore. We made it Main and back to Lakeshore to make the run back to Rail Road Canyon. We worked our way through Rail Road Canyon and regrouped just before the drop down the last hill towards Murrieta. We caught that light as well and headed back towards Bradley and then Haun. We still had to pass over the freeway and then Antelope. Coyote headed for home and the group started to spread out so I fell back to lead the back half and had Metric Man take the front half home. We lost Metric Man and his group at Winchester and continued on to Warren together. I took the lead again and moved towards Sanderson. After Warren our pace slowed a bit and we closed in on the rise before Sanderson. As you top the rise you see the light at Sanderson and that sight more or less gives us just a bit of extra energy. We turned north on Sanderson and I almost felt like we had a tail wind. I took us to Stetson and once again we sat at the light waiting to continue on towards home. T-3, Ruby Tuesday and I broke off at Johnston and headed east. Suddenly I started to feel just a bit tired but the two women made me pretend I still had more than enough energy. I left the two at their gate and headed for home and a hot shower and lunch. It was a great 60 mile ride and it was great weather. Yes there is a reason we live where we live and today was part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment