Wednesday, May 29, 2013
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
5/29/13
I was not up before the alarm this morning. In fact it was all I could do to get out of bed. But I had things to do and places to go so I rolled out of bed and staggered to the kitchen to look out upon the day. One look and my day looked better. I was still tired but I knew it was going to be a great day for a ride.
I got to Burger King to see Digger and Surgeon talking and I rode over to the windows to get some coffee. All we had to do at this point was wait and see how many riders would show up. By 8:25 there were ten of us with Gambler, Bulldozer, Bloodhound, Highlander, MacGyver, Dura Max and Rabbit joining the other three.
We took off down Gilmore and to Acacia before turning west to Kirby and a wait at the light. Soon we were headed south on Kirby and towards the housing tract on Cypress. Bloodhound was following Bulldozer like a heat seeking missile and they were quickly off the front and headed around the corner and headed for Johnston. Soon we were all waiting at the light on Sanderson and ready to make the turn south. Once the light changed Bloodhound and Bulldozer were once again out front with the rest of us following.
We managed to roll up to Stetson just as the light turned green so we rolled on by and past Wally World. The pace was picking up a bit and Gambler pulled up next to me to confirm the route. Once we were clear on where we were going he pulled away and went after Bloodhound and Bulldozer followed by Surgeon. We were quickly past Mustang and caught the light at Domenigoni. Gambler said he would be taking the A group up Seven dollar hill and I would take the B group to McSweeney. We rounder the corner and headed for State Street.
I watched the A group make the turn on Searl and we continued on to the corner at State and south towards McSweeney with Highlander leading us to and through the Housing tract. Rabbit started out strong but soon dropped back like a fallen water bottle and we didn’t see him again till we regrouped when we got back to State. We headed down to the light on Domenigoni. As we waited for the light we could see the A group coming down from Searl and they were riding fast. Once the light turned green we took off north running like we were being chased by Big Foot with Surgeon pulling the group to Chambers. Once again we dropped Rabbit as we turned towards the golf course and over to Buena Vista and over to Santa Fe and Stetson where the A group caught us.
We turned onto Stetson and soon the A group had pulled away and gapped the B group by about a quarter of a mile. We did close up at a light at the High School and then they got away again and this time they took some of the B group with them. I had three or four riders with me and we stayed on Stetson all the way to Fairview where we once again regrouped. Rabbit was nowhere to be seen so we headed north on Fairview till it turned into Cedar and out onto Ramona heading to Lake Park drive.
Once we turned onto Lake Park Highlander took us to Soboba and we started the run east towards State again. Bloodhound was well ahead of us at the light and was almost out of sight as we made the turn and by the time we got to the golf course Gambler and Bulldozer started a speed run west on Soboba with MacGyver just off of their back wheel. Surgeon and Highlander started a little late for a chase but soon Highlander was pulling pretty strong until I pulled up to give him a pull at the first rise after the driving range. I started to fade a bit when Surgeon rolled by me and I had to dig down to close back on him. Highlander pulled around me and saved my bacon when I got his draft and he got Surgeon’s back wheel. I recovered to attack on the last hill and got to the top just in front of Surgeon and we continued on to the stop sign for a small regroup sans Gambler and Bulldozer.
We headed for Ramona and east to go back to Carl’s. Dura Max and I missed one green light and that pretty much became the story of our ride all the way to Carl’s where we stopped for coffee and conversation.
We were almost ready to leave when Rabbit showed up and when we left he headed a different way because he had an appointment. That left five of us to head for home.
Dura Max left us at Park and it looked like Highlander was about to crank it up and head for the Barn with Bloodhound right with him. By the time we caught up to Highlander Bloodhound had left and headed for home and we finally pulled up together at San Jacinto. We crossed the light and made our way to Santa Fe before dropping down to Latham and west back past state.
We continued on to Palm where Digger and I went in opposite directions leaving Highlander, surgeon and MacGyver to head west towards Burger King. All I was thinking of was how nice the day had been and the idea that I was glad I had dragged myself out of bed to go on a bike ride with friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment