Monday, April 29, 2013

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) 4/29/13 We have started to move towards our summer start times for our rides and today was the first bump to 8:30am. I knew Highlander was going to be gone and I was thinking about doing Bautista Canyon. The problem was every time Highlander is gone I run us up Bautista and Tax Man pays the price. So I put together a new ride and left the house 30 minutes early to meet up with my friends at Burger King. Digger and I were first to arrive and we were having coffee when Dura Max arrived. Not long after he rode up Bloodhound, Bulldozer and Dragon slayer pulled up. Surgeon and MacGyver rolled up and it was only 8:15. No one else showed up and by 8:30 we were out onto Latham and headed to Lyon and south. We were supposed to meet T-3 at Lyon and Johnston but we got there first and after a few minutes most of the riders continued on to Thornton. I got caught at the light on Stetson and by the time I could cross the street T-3 and Dura Max caught me. We rode together to Thornton and then out to State where we could just see the majority of the B group closing in on Donemigoni. The plan from there was to let the A group ride up to the top of Sage at Sycamore Ranch and Red Mountain. The B group would only go as far as Diamond Valley market before heading back to Domenigoni. Dura Max, T-3 and I regrouped with MacGyver, Surgeon, Tax Man and Digger at the Golf Course before heading to Sage and down to the Market. It took a few minutes for the whole B group to assemble at the Market and we rested for a few minutes before heading back north towards Cactus Valley Road. The great part about this part of the ride is that it is more or less all downhill all the way both to Cactus Valley and finally to State and Domenigoni. Once we were regrouped on Domenigoni we started a training pace line with one minute pulls at 18 just to stay in practice. The one minute rotation served two purposes, we were able to keep a average speed of 18 without working at it and we didn’t slinky because everyone stayed tight getting ready for their turn at the front. We finally past Leon and MacGyver gave to lead to Digger who pulled us to the top of the saddle for a regrouped picture. We took off any extra layers as we rehydrated and popped a shot block or Gu and looked back to see if the A group was gaining on us. I could see most of the way back to Winchester and there were no riders in sight. I moved back to the group and headed down the back side of the saddle and headed for Lindenburger. Once we rounded the corner and headed towards Simpson MacGyver asked if I thought the A group would catch us and I assured him that I didn’t think so. After riding with the same people for so many years I was pretty sure we would get to Chris’s before they could run us down. MacGyver must have been less than confident that we were far enough in front of Bulldozer so when he started the pull east on Simpson he picked up the pace a bit. We started a pace line again with one minute rotations and were soon past Leon and heading for the trees just before Winchester. Dura Max and T-3 stopped to feed the Lama and we made it to the light and over to Chris’s. To our surprise we found Bloodhound sitting at a table as we pulled up. Turns out he had to break off early due to a sore knee and that meant Bulldozer was closer than we thought, or at least closer than I thought. Still it took a few minutes for Bulldozer to arrive and a few more for Dragon Slayer. They left almost as soon as they got there to pick up Dragon Slayer’s truck and take Bloodhound home. Once we saw Bloodhound was taken care of we headed back out of the parking lot and out to Winchester. I was feeling rather good as we headed north and it seemed as if we had a very slight tail wind. At least it seemed easier to make it to Stowe than it has in the past. I rounder the corner and headed towards California with MacGyver moving up fast to take the lead. We made it to California and then up to Stetson before heading east towards Warren. Dura Max, T-3 and Surgeon had left well before Dragon Slayer arrived to pick up Bloodhound so we never even saw them. MacGyver turned at Warren and Tax Man left on the airport road followed by Digger while I stayed on Stetson to Sanderson to move over to Johnston and head for home. Three miles later I rolled up to my front door with 39 easy miles on the computer. Once again it was another great ride on a great day. As I have heard so many times, this is why we live where we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment