Wednesday, April 10, 2013

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) 4/10/2013 After the cold wet day we had Monday all I could do was hope for a better day today. At least they didn’t predict any rain but they did predict wind. So I decided to have breakfast and then add arm and leg warmers to my kit. Once I walked out of my front door I felt it was just warm enough that I didn’t need a jacket or long fingered gloves. I moved pretty quickly to Burger King and had coffee with Digger while we waited to see how many would join us. To my surprise the group quickly built with Highlander, Dura Max, Coyote, Gambler, Bulldozer, D’Artagnon, Dragon Slayer, MacGyver, Ferret, Tinker Bell, Huntress, Surgeon and Red Rabbit. 15 riders were ready to head down Gilmore by 9am. Coyote flatted at the corner so I got a chance to rid myself of arm and leg warmers. I really didn’t plan on pulling all that much today and thought that after Gambler and Bulldozer caught up to and passed me on Kirby that I could settle down into the pack and drift along in quiet peace. It didn’t quite work out that way however because while I was able to cruise along in the pack to Cypress and then to Johnston and Sanderson I found myself back out front as we got ready to turn west and head towards the airport. MacGyver pulled up next to me and started a conversation but that hardly slowed the pace at all. It was as if the bike just felt like running by itself today and I had no reason to try and slow it down. No one was getting dropped so we just kept it up heading to the airport. Once again I was out front leading up onto Stetson and west. As I pulled out onto the street it was time to power up a bit so we could get to Warren as quickly as possible. As I looked back it seemed as if everyone was in a pace line and we rolled up on Warren together. For some reason the pace seemed comfortable to me so I continued pulling on Stetson and heading for California Street. The turn towards Stowe was just as easy as Stetson was and so the pace didn’t slacken at all as we got close to the corner. I did notice that MacGyver, Highlander and I were separated from the main group by about 75 yards as we got to Stowe. I was pretty sure that once we were heading west on Stowe the big dogs would drop the hammer and I told MacGyver that as soon as they started to gain on us he should start spinning up to grab a wheel. I wanted to hold it steady because there was still a few behind me and I didn’t want to drop anyone just to chase people I felt had more juice than I did anyway. Sure enough as Bulldozer came flying by MacGyver attacked and left in the dust with them. Still we weren’t that far behind and we pulled into the parking lot on Winchester as a group before the sprinters were parked. I was somewhat surprised that we hadn’t lost anyone on the way to Winchester and by the time I got a drink down everyone seemed ready to roll. Normally we have to recover for a few more minutes but not today. So I headed towards the corner only to get called back for our second flat for the day. Gambler had to give a tire changing class while all of his friends sat and watched while making comments even step of the way. That aft R all is what friends are for, t make comments while someone is doing all of the work. As soon as Gambler said he was ready I pulled out onto Winchester and headed south. Only about half of us made it out onto Winchester before the other half got caught by traffic. I slowly kicked up the pace and headed for the dump road with Highlander, Digger, MacGyver and Dragon Slayer in tow. The second group was closing fast as we turned west onto the dump road and headed towards Leon. Huntress and Coyote had been riding sweep up to that point so I decided to drop back and give them a chance to go play. After I fell back Coyote took off towards the front runners and then Huntress gave chase as well. Dura Max and I followed towards the back of the group till we turned onto Leon. As we crossed the railroad track I lost my camera and Dura Max had to stop and retrieve it for me. By the time we got to Simpson the group was gone but way off in the distance we could see a lone rider closing in on Briggs Street. It turns out we were closing on Rabbit. We caught him at Lindenburger and hooked up with Digger on Heritage. We all rode together to McCall and over the hill to regroup with the rest of the group at Hillpoint Drive. Now all we had to do was ride through the housing tract and over to Sumner to make the climb to Antelope. Surgeon started us up the hill and got us to the first stop sign before the Big Dogs pulled up and headed for the top of Antelope to begin the downhill heading towards Newport. Coyote would be riding right by his house so I was sure we would lose him before we got to Jack in the Box. But after catching the group just before the light I noticed Gambler, D’Artagnon, Bulldozer, Ferret and Tinker Bell were in the left turn lane. It turns out they had to get back early so they weren’t joining us for coffee. As we got ready to walk inside Jack’s we saw Dura Max heading for Gaboni and we didn’t see him again till we got back on the road. We pulled out of the parking lot heading for home and Huntress and I had to chase everyone all the way to Menifee. We finally rejoined the group and headed for the saddle. Surgeon, Dragon Slayer and I crested the saddle first with MacGyver right on our wheel. Dragon Slayer and I stopped at the top to wait for the stragglers and MacGyver chased Surgeon down the Saddle towards Leon. Dragon Slayer and Huntress pulled us all the way to Winchester where we finally caught Surgeon and MacGyver. We then headed towards Warren together. Even with the slight uphill and against a light wind we were easily rolling along about 20 mph with what seemed to me very little effort. Maybe it was the extra day off and maybe it was the sun but I haven’t felt this good all winter. And after seeing Dura Max off as he headed straight pat Sanderson I hurried up to catch the rest of the group at the light and made it just in time to turn on the green. I started us out north but I knew that soon Highlander was going to get the heading for the barn extra energy and we would be burning up the road. I found myself at the back of the group that hadn’t slackened one little bit from the pace we had set on Domenigoni. However when we got to Stetson the great equalizer, the red light, allowed me to catch up and pull to the front and stay there to Johnston before breaking off and heading for home. Even during my traditional cool down on Johnston I was rolling along at about 17 and not even pushing that hard. I got o my street and turned for home just two miles later. I rolled up to my door with 32 miles on the computer and a smile on my face. Riding bikes with 15 friends will do that for some people and I seem to be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment