Friday, April 12, 2013
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
4/12/13
It looked like another good day was predicted for us and that was good thing because it was our last chance for a easy ride before the Hemet century this Saturday. I put together a rather flat easy ride just to get our legs working and was looking forward to it. I had to dedicate myself to staying in zone one and promise I wouldn’t chase any big dogs or get into any sprints so I would be rested for the century. I got dressed after breakfast Digger and headed for coffee with Digger at Burger King.
Once Dura Max and Highlander joined us it was quite a while before anyone else rode up. But soon I saw Gambler and Bulldozer arrived along with Bloodhound. Then to our surprise Vortex pulled up followed by D’Artagnon, Ferret, Tinker Bell and their friend Sue. The 12 of us started off south to Acacia and then to Kirby and south again.
It was my plan to ride this ride like a recovery ride so as to not burn out the legs before Saturday’s century. I had talked to Bloodhound and told him to hold it down so we wouldn’t get into and heavy pace line chases and I knew it would be hard to hold him back. Still they let me lead till we got to Cypress and headed west. I let other lead us to Sanderson and fell in behind Vortex and Highlander as we got to Stetson and rolled past Wally world.
Once on Domenigoni and heading west again I knew we would face the true test because Bloodhound loved dropping the hammer once we got past Warren. Today however things were working out well until Sue flatted. Highlander, Bloodhound, Dura Max and Vortex were in the front when the shout came out, “flat” but only Vortex pulled up as the others continued on. I stopped and talked with Tinker Bell till the rest of the group caught up to us after fixing the flat, twice, and we headed for Winchester. Shortly after we crossed the light Vortex flatted and I told Sue and Tinker bell to head on. They ended up waiting for us on the back side of the saddle because no one was there when we got there. We didn’t regroup till we got to Carl’s with the rest of the group.
Bloodhound started us west again and we rode past Murrieta and headed for the light at Berea. I was very impressed with Bloodhounds control and he had kept the B group right at 15 MPH all the way to the light and then to Normandy to jump up to Laladera. We turned north and I noticed we were still all in one group even if Sue was at the back of the pack.
Sue started to fall back a bit as we moved towards Honeyrun and I fell back to ride with her as the group pulled away from us and headed to Valley. We didn’t get to McCall till they had already made it to Murrieta. We followed back a bit less than the curve of the earth so we could still see some riders in the distance and finally we regrouped on top of Hospital Hill.
We finally dropped off the back side of McCall and headed for the light at Menifee. When Highlander and I rolled through the intersection we saw the big dogs turn on Menifee for the Strava Segment up to Simpson. I waited for Tinker Bell and Sue and we tried to catch the rest of the B group at Simpson. We didn’t make it however and fell well behind before Leon. We didn’t catch the and ended up regrouping with everyone at Chris’s.
We took our time drinking coffee and telling stories before getting ready to head out to Winchester and home. The A group headed for Domenigoni for a Speed run east while the rest of us turned north on Winchester and worked our way up to Stowe and east towards California.
I was feeling pretty relaxed as we turned onto California and moved up to Stetson. I left Highlander and most of the group at the airport road and stayed with Sue and Tinker Bell all the way to Sanderson. We split at Johnston and I headed east past Kirby and Lyon to Palm and home. It was a slow ride but a good one and my legs still fell pretty good as I walked in the house after 37 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment