Wednesday, February 27, 2013

2/272013 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Looking outside this morning I think I know how a bear feels after coming out of hibernation in the spring. There was sun and glorious warmth looking me right in the face. I still put on arm and leg warmers just in case the clear sky fooled me. But I didn’t need my long fingered gloves or anything to cover my face for the first time in about three weeks. I had breakfast, got my kit on and loaded up my bike before heading down Palm towards Florida and the parking lot to meet my friends. I got to Burger King first and parked my bike only to see Dragon Slayer unloading his bike. I went in and got some coffee and came out to find Dura Max rolling up. For a while we seemed to be it but when I looked at my watch it was only 8:39 so I was pretty early. It was so warm standing in front of the Burger King windows that I was almost sorry I had on my arm warmers. But then I knew once we got started that might change. By 9 am we had several more riders ready to get in a quick 40 miles west just to enjoy the day. We headed down Gilmore heading to Acacia. Bloodhound followed me around the corner onto Acacia followed by Highlander, Chinook, Artemis, Gambler, D’Artagnon, Torpedo, Dura Max, and Digger. We managed to turn onto Kirby shortly after the light turned green and head south. I will admit it seemed like we were moving a bit quicker than we had Monday but I chocked it up to a lack of wind. I pulled us to Cypress and followed Bloodhound west to Sanderson before we headed south again to cross Stetson and make our way to Mustang and finally Domenigoni. We no sooner rounded the corner on Domenigoni to head west when the pace picked up. It wasn’t unreasonable but it was faster than I thought the group could manage all the way to the Saddle. Still I stayed with the leaders most of the way to Warren when I noticed the group was breaking apart. I pulled out of line and headed for the back to ride sweep in case there was anyone to pick up. By Winchester we were split into three groups but we were all pretty much in sight of each other. I managed to pull up to the saddle to regroup with Chinook, Artemis, Highlander, Digger and Dura Max before rolling off of the back side and heading for Menifee. We dropped down to Lindenburger and then formed an easy pace line leading past Laguna Vista and into the turn lane on Menifee. We got caught at the light but could see Dragon Slayer talking to someone on the corner and about half a block up the street the rest of the group was waiting for us. Once we pulled around the corner and headed south towards the hill just past Holland. As we past the big dogs they fell in behind us and waited to make the jump at the bottom of the hill. I was pretty sure the group would split apart on the hill because Gambler and Torpedo were not planning on regrouping at the top and that meant D’Artagnon wouldn’t either. It turned out that Dragon slayer, Chinook and Bloodhound chased then as well. I ended up pulling Highlander, Artemis, Digger and Dura Max to Scott road and then begin the long grade to Murrieta. I regrouped us again at Murrieta and then dropped into the long fast pull to Newport. The glorious sun made my legs feel lighter and faster than they had in weeks and I managed to stay out front all the way to Newport and regroup with the lead group at the Chevron Station. A quick break and we were back on Murrieta and heading north. As we first started north I was still feeling pretty good even if it seemed we had ever so slight of a wind in our face. I chatted a bit with Highlander and Digger as we moved towards Cherry Hill and was happy that no one seemed to want to push the pace as long as we were cruising easily along. It didn’t take long to reach Cherry Hill and head back east towards Bradley. Once on Bradley I got to pull again and took us back towards Newport. For whatever reason once we were past the first stop sign cranking it up to 23 was almost effortless. In fact I was rather surprised when a few of the faster riders decided to ride past me about a quarter of a mile before the SDA church and it took me a moment to grab a wheel heading for the light at Newport. All but two of our group stopped for the red light. The two that didn’t rolled through the pinkest light I think I have ever seen. I did mention it to them at coffee when we stopped at Jack in the Box. When we left the coffee stop Torpedo pulled out front and soon we were back on a fast pace heading back to the Saddle. We were over to top in a fairly organized group and I knew we would have at least two groups on the run back to Sanderson. I managed to stay in the second group all the way to Winchester and we were off chasing the lead group as soon as the light changed. I was sitting comfortably in the back as we got to the flag pole I use to tell wind direction. Something got kicked up by someone in front of me and I managed to roll right over it. It was hard and I was sure I had cut my tire so I slowed down and lost the draft. Highlander dropped back to check on me and then rode with me all the way back to Sanderson where we caught Dragon Slayer, Bloodhound, Chinook and Artemis at the light. Chinook and Artemis started their spin down after we turned north on Sanderson and I rode with them back to Johnston where Bloodhound had turned east. I waved good bye to my friends and caught up to Bloodhound and rode back to my street and home. I got home feeling pretty good. In fact I think I could have done another 20 or 30 miles without much effort. As I pulled onto my front walk I kept humming the old Beatles song, “Here Comes the sun.”

No comments:

Post a Comment