Monday, February 11, 2013

2/11/2013 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) After a very cold and windy century on Saturday I for one was looking for a recovery ride today, Monday, and had put together a simply little ride to Nuevo and home. The predictions were for some clear skies and light winds. When I looked outside before breakfast it was clear and cold, much like it was when we got to Palm Springs Saturday. I could only hope it wouldn’t be windy. I put on a base layer and long sleeve jersey over my bibs, added a heavy skull cap and long fingered gloves. Adding a ski mask and I was ready to head for Burger king and start the day. I got there right after Dragon Slayer but by 9am there were nine of us heading out onto Latham and north on Lyon to start the ride.
As we headed north Highlander pulled up next to me and we talked about our weekend and getting together so I could return his bike rack we had used Saturday. About then Dragon Slayer pulled up and said he was going to make a fast run down the Expressway so he could stop by his house and get his water bottles. As he raced off Bulldozer went with him as did Bloodhound, leaving Highlander, Rocky, Ferret, Tax man, Dura Max and I to make our way to Ramona Boulevard on our own. It didn’t stay that way because as the lead three pulled away Rocky went after then and Highlander was hot on his wheel. Dura Max, Tax Man and I cruised at about 20 mph and ended up catching the light at the expressway right after the lead riders past through. We lost about 600 yards at the light and never got it back as we rolled through Warren and then had to dodge the dog at the first dairy we past. But we managed to not get bit and made it to the Valero a few minutes after everyone else.
After Dragon Slayer rejoined us we headed south on Lakeview and I pulled pretty hard to just past the elementary school. My legs felt pretty good but I still felt sluggish. It was as if I simply couldn’t spin past 100 to 105 rpm to same my life. My Garmin said I was doing fine but my head wasn’t satisfied. I gave the lead to Bloodhound and fell back behind Ferret and stayed there till we got to Nuevo and I noticed we were three riders short. I show pedaled to Central and then waited till Bulldozer took off to run down the leaders and Dura Max and Tax man joined me to ride down to Menifee. We took turns pulling to Mapes and I took over again heading east. About halfway to Briggs Tax Man started to cramp up and we had to slow till he could spin it out. We then make the corner on Briggs and down past Heritage High to the housing tract.
All we had left was to ride down Briggs and onto the dump road before heading east towards Leon. The problem for me was the wind. It had been fluky all day and I would almost swear it had been in my face no matter what direction I had been heading in. The dump road was no different and once again I was headed into the wind and fighting to hold 19 mph. Shortly after we went by Leon, Tax Man pulled over to check on something while Dura Max and I continued on to Winchester. Dura Max headed for home and I rode over to Chris’s for coffee with the rest of the group, Tax Man got there a moment or two later. After a cup of coffee and an Odwalla bar I was ready to head north on Winchester and start for home. Highlander pulled around me and finished the pull to Stowe and it still felt like we had the wind in out face. Looking at the flag at the country store you would have thought it was a side wind and that it should be at our back once we got onto Stowe and headed east. But it wasn’t at our backs or at least it didn’t feel like it.
We didn’t get far down Stowe before Tax Man and Highlander got to the front and pulled us to the rise about a quarter of a mile before California. Feeling as if the wind may have cut back a bit I got ready to start a sprint only to run full face into the wind again after topping the rise. I got down in the drops but it wasn’t doing much good and soon Rocky and Bloodhound were on me anyway so I sat back up on the hoods and cruised with the pack down California to Stetson and then to Warren. Dragon Slayer, Highlander, Bulldozer, Tax Man and Ferret took off at the airport road while Rocky. Bloodhound and I continued on to Sanderson and over to Stetson.
Rocky left at Lyon while Bloodhound and I stayed past Elk and then Palm where I turned off and headed for home myself. I rolled up at our door looking forward to a hot shower and lunch. It was a good ride and a reasonable pace but I simply never warmed up. Not that I feel bad because it could be Flagstaff and it could be snowing. No thanks were we live is just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment