Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2/20/2013 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) I have to admit I had no idea we would have a chance to get in a ride today after rain started last night. But I got up at my usual time and wandered into the kitchen for coffee and finally looked out of my front window and saw a few light clouds and some blue sky but no rain. I went back and had breakfast and decided I might as well get dressed and ride over to the meeting place just in case some of the other wanted to try to get in a ride today. I got there first and then Dura Max arrived. We were talking when to my surprise Digger rode up. I thought he was still away in Japan so I didn’t expect him. Lastly Rocky pulled up and we were about ready to go. We moved down Gilmore and caught the light at Florida and had to wait till it turned green. We had already agreed to make today an easy cruise so we weren’t trying to break any records getting down to Acacia and over to Kirby. It may have cleared up sooner than we expected but it was still cold and damp. The air had a bite to it and I was glad I had layered up more than normal. I took us to Kirby and then up to Cypress before heading west with Dura Max right by my side. We talked easily all the way out to Johnston and Sanderson while we waited to turn south towards Stetson and past Wally world. We continued on to Mustang with me in the lead. I stayed in front till we got to Domenigoni and started west. Rocky pulled in front and offered to relieve me and keep the pace down. Once he was out front he pulled us all the way to Warren easily. In fact Rocky seemed to have no problem pulling us over the dry wash and kept us at a very steady 18 to 19 MPH. Once by Winchester we lost Digger for a little while, us is still getting his cycling legs back after a month off, but Rocky went back and picked him up to bring him back to the group before pulling us all the way to Leon and then the base of the saddle. We regrouped at the Saddle for just a few moments before starting back down the back side and heading west again. They let me pull to Antelope and Rocky took over again and pulled us over the freeway and to Haun. By the time we got to Bradley Dura Max got out front and took us all the way to Carl’s for a break. As soon as we were all refreshed we were back on the road and heading for the street heading to LaLadera. We rolled around the corner onto LaLadera and Dura Max Pulled us all the way to the corner by the Owl Sanctuary and then started working our way over to McCall with Rocky in the lead. By this point I had removed my jacket but I still had a vest over my jersey and base layer plus my ski mask. Still it was cold and damp but at least the sun was coming out and it felt good. We turned east on McCall and worked our way by Murrieta and then Bradley and back over the freeway before climbing Hospital Hill and regrouping. I removed my ski mask just before we dropped off of the hill and headed for Menifee. Taking off the mask was a bad idea at that time because the air was even colder at 35 mph than it had been at 19. We turned onto Heritage and headed towards Lindenburger. Once back onto Simpson we took turns pulling east till Rocky took over again at Leon. We moved quickly through the Eucalyptus trees and finally got to Winchester to head north to Chris’s for some hot coffee and a chance to thaw out a bit before getting back on the road and heading for home. I got out onto Winchester and up to Stowe before heading east towards California. We took turns again after we turned onto California and went down to Stetson before heading east once more. I pulled to Warren and then to the airport. Because we all had to go that way anyway we stayed on Stetson all the way to Sanderson rather than turn at the airport road. I managed to stay in front to Sanderson and then to Johnston as we made the turn for home. Digger left us at Cypress while Rocky, Dura Max and I continued on to Kirby and then to Lyon where Rocky had to leave for home leaving Dura Max and I to continue on towards Elk and finally Palm where I turned for home leaving Dura Max to ride home by himself. It was only 37 miles from door to door but it was still good to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment