Monday, February 18, 2013

2/18/2013 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) With the threat of rain on Wednesday I thought we should try and get in a few extra miles on Monday so I set up a bit longer ride and crossed my fingers that is wouldn’t be cold or windy. By the time I was up and ready to go at least it wasn’t windy but it was still colder than I like. I walked out without my cold weather mask and thought better of it so I went back inside and put one on before heading to Burger King for some morning coffee. Somehow I got there first and got my coffee before Dura Max arrived. We talked for a while before Rocky and Bloodhound pulled up. To my surprise Phil from Beaumont showed up before Tax Man, Gambler and Bulldozer. We waited till 9am and just before we were ready to leave the parking lot Red Rabbit arrived giving us out last rider. We went down Gilmore west on Acacia and started up Kirby. I was staying out front in an attempt to keep the pace steady. I know Red Rabbit hates it if we start out too fast and at his age I guess he has earned the right to complain. Phil was on a Mountain Bikes with road tires so I expected him to be pulling up the rear once we got on Domanigoni and if we created a gap I planned on going back for him. However he stayed with us on Kirby and Cypress and was still there as we headed south on Sanderson and closed in on Mustang. As soon as I got us onto Domenigoni and started west over the first rise I gave the lead to Bloodhound. I told him to run whatever pace he wanted because there was a big difference between the pace of the fast and slow group. I kept going back for Rabbit and Dura Max pulled Phil all the way to Winchester where I let rabbit go and fell back to help Dura Max. We kept this up to the saddle where we regrouped with Rocky, Tax Man and Rabbit. I knew from this point on we wouldn’t be together that often as a group but as we got ready and dropped off of the back side of the saddle and headed for Lindenburger. We were lucky in that as we rounded the corner Gambler, Bulldozer and Bloodhound were coming back to look for us. They followed part way before Bulldozer flew by heading for Simpson. No one gave chase even if it looked like it would have done any good. We got through the light at Simpson and more or less rode as a group through the housing tract to McCall. I thought Gambler and Bulldozer we going to attack the Segment after Florida so I figured one of the last pictures we would get today would be at the Am/Pm. Once we were back on the road and headed north Bloodhound started a long pull to Mapes and then pulled away as we topped the rise a half of a mile later. Gambler pulled out front to give me a break and Bulldozer took over a few moments later. We caught Bloodhound just before central and soon we were all headed west on Nuevo. I decided to wait on Phil and Dura Max stopped with me as the rest of the group continued on with the ride. Just before we got to Evans Dura Max got a flat and Phil and I stood around and watched him fix it. I realized we had lost Rabbit but this wouldn’t be the first time and I am sure not the last. Once we were back on the road I took us to Ramona and then to the light at Ryder and Dura Max took us over the hill. We told Phil we would meet him at the Valero for a break and cruised there with very little fan fare. We did some minor adjustments to Phil’s saddle before heading east on Ramona. Phil said he would be leaving us on Sanderson and told us to go on at our own pace so I pulled to Sanderson and then Lyon. We turned on Esplanade together and Dura Max took me to Palm where I headed for home. It had finally warmed up and was a pleasant ride home. 47 miles isn’t bad for a cold foggy day and it beats rain and snow anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment