Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Ridder down, but not out.
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
After not riding because of drizzle on Monday I was looking forward to getting out today. I wanted to get in more than 40 miles so I might try a half century on Saturday. So I headed to the bike shop with a goal in my mind.
Digger and Earth dog were waiting when I got there and for a while we were alone. However we were pleased to see Highlander and Huntress just before we had to leave. It took us a little while to get Huntress’s cleats fixed before we headed north on Lyon towards Ramona.
I got a chance to start out pulling and did so all the way to Esplanade and we only had to wait a short time for the light to turn green. Once we were back on our way I got out front again and pulled to Ramona Boulevard and again to Sanderson. We all waited at the light on the Expressway before heading west towards Warren. We only made it part way before Huntress took over and we realized we has lost Digger and Earth Dog. I asked Huntress to pull over as we got to Warren and we waited for our lost riders. Soon they came riding by us and we had to chase them all the way to Bridge. Earth Dog gave up the lead and I took over. I ended up pulling us all the way to Hansen where we stopped to wait for any stragglers.
As we waited we saw Digger ride by and we gave him a pretty big start towards the two rollers before we gave chase. Minotaur joined us while we waited.
I started the pull on the Expressway and by the time we crossed the bridge and reached the start of the first roller Digger was at the top. He was half way to the second roller when I crested just ahead of Huntress and decided to wait for Highlander. I sent Huntress on to chase down Digger. I waited till Highlander was on my wheel and we met up with the rest of the group at Rider. I headed for Evans and caught a draft behind a truck. I made it past the stop signs and stop lights and got to Evans first. I waited for the rest of the group to round the corner.
Digger and Earth Dog took a good lead to the stop sign and headed left towards Dunlap. They even rounded the corner first and it took me all the way to the top of the rise to catch them pulling Huntress, Minotaur and Highlander with me. I pulled after we turned onto Menifee and was in front all the way to Central. Earth Dog, Huntress, and Minotaur rolled by me and headed for the stop sign. I pulled Highlander up to Minotaur’s back wheel and Huntress pulled us towards the Nursery. We had pulled away from Earth Dog after the stop sign. Huntress pushed the pace at the rise and we lost Highlander and Minotaur took the lead. The three of us pulled away and Huntress got back out front at Mapes.
I took my turn at the front and kicked it up till we got to Florida and stopped at the AM/PM. While we waited for Digger I got a call and discovered Digger had crashed at Mapes. Highlander and I rode back to check on Digger while Earth Dog, Huntress and Minotaur headed back to the bike shop.
Digger had suffered a front flat and didn’t realize it till he tried to make a turn onto Mapes. He went down hard and the front tire had rolled off of his wheel. His helmet was destroyed and he had road rash. Once it was determined he was OK and his Brother was coming to get him I took a few pictures and Highlander and I headed back south on Menifee.
Highlander and I crossed the railroad tracks on Menifee and I got a flat. Turns out Minotaur flatted there as well. Highlander and I made our way to McCall and headed east to Briggs to cut over to the dump road. We cruised to Winchester Farms for a short break and then rode back to Sanderson where we split up and I headed for home. It turned out to be a good little 44 mile ride and one that let me know I could ride the half century at the Patriot Ride in Indian Wells.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment