Wednesday, October 26, 2016
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
With the bad weather Monday I was looking forward to Wednesday’s ride. I even pushed it out a bit to get us a few extra miles. I got up to a cool morning that was clear and had very little wind. I knew it might be a small group but I didn’t care I would have gone by myself if I had to.
I got to the bike shop ready to head out towards Lake Perris and only Earth Dog was there with me. Just before we were ready to leave Highlander and Tax Man joined us and Earth Dog took us out onto Lyon and the light on Florida. After the light changed I headed north with Highlander by my side. We made rather good time heading for Esplanade and then onto Seventh Street.
I was planning on a rather easy pace out to Lake Perris but that always depends on how the rest of the group feels. At least at this time the group seemed to want to cooperate and they let me set the pace most all of the way to Ramona Boulevard. Shortly after we started west Highlander took the lead and pulled us Sanderson. After we turned onto the Expressway Earth Dog took the lead and ran us towards Warren. I followed in fourth place enjoying the pace.
We made it past the beginning of the rumble strip and most of the way to Bridge before Highlander took the lead again and got us started towards Hansen and the market. I was impressed at the average speed of the group and the teamwork they displayed as Highlander gave the lead to Tax Man and finally I got another turn that took us all the way to Hansen and the little store for a short break. We didn’t stay long before we were back on the road and headed for the rollers and the front entrance to Lake Perris.
We made it to the light on the Expressway and this time Tax Man took the lead and headed for the Bridge before Bernasconi climb. I started to close on Tax Man but I had promised to pull Highlander over the rollers so I fell off a bit and let Earth dog and Tax Man go. We were a bit behind the other two as we crested the first hill and I pulled Highlander almost up to Tax Man at the base of the second roller. We couldn’t hold him as he climb to the crest and so I slowed to be sure I had Highlander and we gave chase again on the downhill side. We were gaining on Earth Dog when Highlander heard a pop sound and yelled flat. We pulled over but my tire seems OK so we continued on to The entrance road to lake Perris and indeed I was losing air. At first it looked like a cut in my tire so we booted it and replaced the tube.
As we headed for the gate Highlander told me to go ahead and he would see me at the Marina. I pulled the group about half way to the gate and then got away to hit the hill first. By the time I got to the Indian Museum it looked like Earth Dog and Tax Man were gaining on me but I Pushed through and made it to the Marina Frontage road and headed for the Marina. I got there first with some sore legs from pushing through the beta blockers.
We had a short snack and cold drink and headed back down the hill to Ramona to start the ride home. As we turned onto Ramona my tire was low again. This time under close inspection I discovered a very small of wire that was more than likely the problem I had the first time I flatted.
Once I fixed the flat we headed for the rollers again and headed back towards the Hansen Market for our next stop.
After we made our way to Hansen and took a break I started us east with the group right on my wheel. Once again we did a pretty good job of rotating through the pull and I got to enjoy a pretty good draft as we headed towards Bridge. At Bridge Earth Dog came out front and kicked us up a bit and I felt a bit like my tank was running a bit low. Still I managed to hang onto his wheel and still create a draft for Highlander and Tax man. That works pretty good till just before Warren where Earth Dog seemed to fade a bit. I took over and headed south on Warren only ton run dead into the only wind we had hit all morning. I pulled about half way to the first stop light and gave the lead to Highlander. He didn’t like the wind any better than I did and gave the lead to Tax Man. Tax man pulled most of the way to the light and part way to Cottonwood. I got us around the corner and we stopped for a drink and then headed to the CVS bypass heading to Sanderson.
I pulled us out onto Sanderson and started us towards Devonshire. Tax Man took over at Seventh and I followed him towards Esplanade Till I noticed Earth Dog was falling off of the back. I fell back to get Earth Dog and by Menlo he had recovered enough to pull out front and kick us back up in pursuit of Tax Man. We missed him at the light on Devonshire and again at the light on Kirby. Highlander pulled us to Gilmore and then to Latham. I could see that the light on Florida had been red for a long time so I took us to Gilmore and Florida where we got the light only moments after getting there so we turned east and head to the bike shop only to find Digger waiting for us.
I stayed to pick up two new tubes before heading home for lunch, a shower and a nap. Yes it was a good day for a nap as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment