Wednesday, October 12, 2016
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Yes I am aware there was no ride report for Monday. There was a reason for that and I am the reason. I got sick on the Monday ride and spent most of the day home in bed and a good part of Tuesday as well. Even though I was still weak this morning I decided I needed to go for a ride and so I picked an easy one and headed for the bike shop to get it started.
I got to the shop to find Digger and Highlander waiting and we were joined by Centaur for a small group. I didn’t matter much to me because I was simply interested is testing myself and working on a ride. So we headed out onto Lyon at 8am and started north. I started the pull and got us to Esplanade pretty quickly.
Once we rolled away for Esplanade we headed for Seventh and beyond. I stayed out front and felt pretty good pulling past Cottonwood and taking the jog over to Ramona Boulevard and east. Normally by this time in the ride my legs would be acting up of my beta blockers would be kicking in but all that happened was the fog was making my glasses get wet. I felt good enough to pull all the way to State Street and made the turn north only to stop long enough to dry my glasses and get a drink before getting back out onto State and heading north again.
I was out front again and still feeling pretty good. Not as strong as I like but my legs were fine and the gear selection seemed better than most days. So I pulled by the College and headed for Soboba with my friends in tow. I stayed out front and headed for the rollers with Highlander right on my wheel. We pulled away from digger slightly on the first roller and Centaur closed on Highlander and joined Highlander and I as we pulled away some more on the second roller. I pulled away slight after cresting the second roller but Highlander caught back up and decided to pull to the driving range. As we hit the last rise after the driving range Highlander gave to lead back to me and followed me to the last climb. He stayed right on my wheel almost to the top and followed me to the trees where we waited for Digger.
Once we were all back together I took us to the river crossing and back to Ramona to head east. We managed to stay in line more or less as we rode to Cedar together and headed for the Fire Station on Fairview.
We made a nature stop while Digger headed for Florida. As soon as we could we gave chase and were about 200 yards behind him as he turned towards Cranston. I started the chase and pulled to the gas station on the left. Centaur decided to come up and pull as we chased Digger to the trees where we caught him. We got by Digger and Centaur took us through the trees and started the slight climb to Cranston. As soon as he slowed a bit I pulled by and headed for the parking lot. We regrouped at Cranston Station and talked for a moment till digger arrived. Once we were ready we headed back west towards Carl’s and Coffee. Digger took off first and once again we chased him to the trees and got by again. This time I slowed and waited till Digger was in the draft and then pulled the group to Fairview and on to Carl’s. We had coffee and conversation before going back outside and heading to Lincoln and home.
We rode as a group back to Park and headed to the jog at Devonshire.
Digger left us at the jog and we moved over to Devonshire and west to Yale. It had been a good ride and just what I needed to feel a bit of recovery. We really didn’t waste a lot of time getting back to the bike shop and once we did we only spent a few minutes visiting before we headed for home and ended a good riding day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment