Monday, August 31, 2015

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Here was another Monday and at least it had cooled a bit from last week. Even though I have been slowed down by my doctor she didn’t say I couldn’t ride and so I had a nice little cruise to Los Alamos and back of about 43 miles planned and headed to Burger King to see who was up for it. Digger was there and we were pretty much alone for the first fifteen minutes. Bugler did show up just to say hello but he was still sore and tired from Saturday. Karl joined us again and soon Earth Dog arrived as well. At first I thought that was going to be the whole group but soon Highlander and Huntress joined us making a reasonable Monday group. We started down Gilmore and headed to Acacia. As normal Digger was one of the ones to lead us to Kirby before we headed south towards Cypress.
It was nice to not be pushed at all in the early part of the ride and we were still in cruise and chat mode as we turned onto Cypress and headed through the housing tract and headed for Johnston. Finally Huntress pulled up next to me and we caught up on each other’s events as Earth Dog and Digger took us to Johnston and we caught the light at Sanderson. We made it onto Sanderson and down to Stetson easily enough and caught the light just past Wally World. Digger got the jump when the light changed and got us headed towards Mustang.
By the time we got to Domenigoni Huntress and Highlander had moved up and took us west towards Warren. We started an easy pace line and Highlander was leading as we rolled by Warren and headed for the dry wash. He pulled us over the wash and gave up the lead as we leveled off heading to Winchester. I took a turn but didn’t stay out front that long before Huntress took over for me. We were still as a group when Shooter was seen going the other way. He turned around and joined us and ended up catching and pulling us all the way to Leon. Digger fell off first but the rest held on till Shooter got us to the bottom of the Saddle. I had enough juice left to pull around and chase Shooter over the hill and follow him to the gas station where we regrouped.
Highlander and Huntress had decided not to complete the ride but they would stay with us as we headed south on Menifee and worked our towards Revival hill. I knew Highlander hated Revival so I had planned on turning on Holland and heading over to Antelope. Highlander almost missed the turn at Holland because I think he had the hill in his head but he seemed to be glad we were heading to Antelope. Shooter took us from the light and over the rise towards Garbani.
We all headed for Scott and by the time we got to the light Highlander and Huntress turned east to head for Winchester. Shooter pulled the rest of us south towards Keller and into the wind. What we were hoping for was for the wind to hold in that position till we got to Winchester ourselves so we could have a tail wind on the way home. Shooter got us to the hospital and made the turn east to get to Whitewood. As we got to the corner we noticed we had lost Digger at the light on Antelope so we stopped to w3ait for him. Once he was back with us we headed south again and worked our way to the long downhill heading to Los Alamos.
We stopped at a Taco Bell to refill our water bottles and then head east o Los Alamos to get to Winchester. Digger tried to stay with us but he started to fade towards the top of the climb so I fell back to ride with him. Shooter took Karl and Earth Dog on as Digger and I cruised down the rollers together. At the sharp right hander with the kicker uphill I dropped Digger because he was in the wrong gear and I got to the stop sign at Briggs and turn back to Leon where Shooter had the others waiting. Once we were all back together we headed up to Max Gillis and over to Winchester. We were very glad to see that we did indeed have a tail wind. We really spread out on Winchester and had to work our way back to Scott where we more or less regrouped and headed for Domenigoni. I caught up to Karl at the last rise before Domenigoni and then we all caught the light and had to wait to head back to Winchester Farms. Shooter left us at Grand and we stopped at Winchester farms for a break before heading east on Stowe to get back home. I stayed with Earth Dog as we turned onto California and pulled him to Stetson. I noticed we had dropped Karl and Digger so I soft pedaled till the caught u while Earth Dog headed for the barn. Digger and Karl caught me at Cawston and we rode together towards Winchester.
I started a pull once we were on Sanderson and took us all the way to Acacia where we turned east. I still had the lead as we got to Kirby but Digger took us to Gilmore where we turned north and found Earth dog waiting at the long light on Florida. We all got back to the parking lot before heading for home and a hot shower. It was a great day for a ride and I am looking forward to Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment