Friday, August 21, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It was Friday at last and it was a cool morning. I put together a shorter ride so we could get back in time for my doctor’s appointment. A quick 38 miles on the Garbani loop and back home seemed about perfect. I had breakfast and headed over to Burger King to meet Digger.
For the longest time we were the only ones there till finally Highlander and Earth Dog drove up. Gambler and Minotaur rode into the parking lot followed by Closer, Tax Man and Centaur. Next we saw Ferret and started to wait for Quicksilver. Once everyone was ready I took us out onto Latham and over to Lyon to head south and get the ride started.
I led the way south on Lyon past Acacia and down to Whittier at a very moderate pace. Once by Whittier we continued on to Johnston and headed east towards Gilbert. We were still cruising easily at Elk and just as easily at Palm before we got to Gilbert and headed south. We pulled up to the light at Stetson and waited our turn to head down to Thornton. We all pulled up to the stop sign on Thornton and headed east.
Things were still pretty cool as we headed east and we chatted easily as we headed for the light. I was still leading as we got to State Street and headed south towards Chambers. As we turned the corner we discovered Sea Lion coming our way and he turned and joined us for our ride towards Domenigoni.
It has been a long time since we have had Sea Lion and it was good to see him again. He fell in behind me as I headed for Domenigoni and was still there when Ferret and Gambler rolled by me and pulled us to the corner. As we got ready to turn west Minotaur past me as well and we jumped off heading for Searl. I latched onto the last back wheel and slowly built up the pace as we headed up the rise at Searl and down the slope towards Sanderson. I decided to push a bit so I would have a better base for the doctor to look at.
We caught the light at Sanderson and again at Warren and then the chase was on. I stayed with the three leaders as we crested the dry wash and after the top Minotaur jumped out front taking Ferret with him. I stayed with Gambler till we caught them and was in the number two spot when we caught them. Minotaur pulled off and fell to the back while I tried to hold on to Ferret’s wheel. By Leon I was out of air but I did roll over the saddle in third and stopped at Lindenburger to wait for the rest of the group.
It turned out Sea Lion had a flat and Quicksilver stopped with Centaur while he fixed it.
Gambler and Ferret were long gone by the time everyone was back together. We headed over towards Briggs Street for the long run up to Garbani.
Minotaur took the lead and pulled hard to Holland with Quicksilver on his wheel and me in the third slot. Highlander was behind me and the rest of the group strung out behind. I jumped in front to give Minotaur a break but he pulled right by me in only a few yards so I got out of the saddle and headed up the grade to Garbani just as Gambler and Ferret came looking for us. I rounded the corner and headed west with Gambler and we were finally caught and passed by Highlander, Quicksilver and Tax Man. The Group rolled by Menifee and headed for Antelope, all except Digger and Closer who turned on Menifee to catch us at Newport.
We made a stop at Jack in the Box for a potty break and Gambler left us. Once the three that stopped were back on the road we headed to Newport and east back to Minifee where we found Digger and Closer waiting. Minotaur and Ferret were heading back to Val Vista so I stayed with the group and headed north on Menifee all the way to Simpson. Quicksilver wasn’t ready to stop so I followed her to Lindenburger where Highlander, Centaur and Tax Man caught us. Earth Dog took a lead as we got to Briggs and Quicksilver worked with Highlander to reel him in. I caught them at Leon and pulled everyone to Winchester. When we made the turn north Highlander and Quicksilver kept going. I stopped and waited to see how far back everyone else was, Tax Man stopped but left when Sea Lion rolled by followed by Centaur. I was going to wait for Digger and Closer but noticed he was coming down Ninth street so I took off up Winchester to ride with him and Closer to Winchester Farms. Highlander, Earth Dog and Quicksilver were there but Tax Man, Centaur and Sea Lion had left.
After we stopped at Winchester farms and had a drink we got back up and headed east on Stowe. Quicksilver kept the pace up as we headed to California and I had to push myself to keep up. I hit it reasonably well to Stetson and then pulled us to Cawston and onto Industrial to get to Sanderson. Earth Dog pulled to Lowes but when he turned into the parking lot I raced for Acacia to beat them to the driveway. It was a short sprint from Kirby to Gilmore and then back to Burger King where Tax Man and Centaur were waiting and told us Sea Lion had gone home. I said my good byes and headed home myself. A quick shower after lunch and I was off to the doctor’s office, not my best visit but that is a story for another time
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment