Monday, June 8, 2015

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Summer fell on us like a skydiver. I woke up and open the drapes only to see a clear blue sky and it was already 65 degrees. We had a ride planned but it was short and I wanted to get back before it got too hot to ride. So I had a light breakfast, got two water bottles and headed for the parking lot. Digger was waiting as I rode up and as we talked a Motorcycle pulled up next to me and to my surprise it was Coyote. We caught up on old times and I discovered he was no longer riding his bicycle. Earth Dog arrived next just before Siren. Hacker drove up now that school is out and Magic man arrived with Dragon Slayer. Then came Tax Man and last but not least Quicksilver drove up and we were ready to go. We said good bye to Coyote and headed down Gilmore to Acacia to start the ride. I forgot we were supposed to head over to State so I shortened the ride a bit by heading to Kirby and turning south. Digger and Siren led the way to Cypress and headed is west towards Johnston and Sanderson.
As we made the light at Sanderson Digger and Siren took the lead and gapped the rest of the group. We followed them to Mustang and watched as they made the light and we didn’t. I looked back at the group and said we were about to have a long chase to catch Siren and digger at the Pace they were going. Everyone seemed up to the task with the possible exception of Tax Man who had been missing for more than a week. We rounded the corner about 300 yards behind Digger and Siren. Dragon Slayer started our pace line and soon it was down to Quicksilver, Magic Man, Dragon Slayer, Hacker and me. By the second rotation we were closing fast but we dropped Quicksilver at Warren just before we caught Digger. I fell back and brought Quicksilver up to the group as we closed in on Winchester and we caught Siren and headed for the Saddle for a regroup. The girls kept going and headed for Laguna Vista and the turn to Newport. We joined them as they headed for Briggs. I was one of the last to round the corner onto Briggs and I watched as Dragon Slayer and Hacker pulled away for the rest of us. Siren gave chase but stopped closing by Holland leaving it to me to close the gap and chase then to Garbani. Hacker saw me coming and made a run for it to increase my suffering but I caught them and got around the corner heading for Menifee first. But I was spent and they got away again and Quicksilver caught me before Menifee and our regroup.
Once we were back on our way I moved us to Antelope and then followed Dragon Slayer to the top of the rise and back down to Holland. Magic Man and Dragon Slayer would be leaving us at Newport and I would be leading the group back to Menifee and north. At least I thought I would lead us to Menifee until Siren and Digger came rolling by and took the lane before making the left turn.
When we turned north Hacker and Quicksilver soon moved to the front after Siren and Digger gave it up and we got ready to do the little Menifee climb. I slid past hacker as he past Quicksilver and led him to the top of the climb before turning east on Simpson. I stopped and let all the stragglers move after Quicksilver and Siren. Once Digger joined me we started the long chase east. We caught Tax Man at Leon and were closing on Earth Dog when we saw him pull over with a flat tire. I stopped to help Earth Dog and sent Digger and Tax Man on to meet at Winchester Farms. It took longer than I expected because it seems as if the tire was defective and wouldn’t stay on the rim with more than 65 or 75 pounds of air. He was only about a mile for home so he left me and I headed for Winchester Farms.
We talked for a few minutes and I related the story about Earth Dog and his heading for home. After downing the rest of one of my water bottles we decided it was time to head for home before it got any hotter than it already was. Once again Siren and Quicksilver got out in front of us and headed east towards California.
They were still in front as we turned north and then east again on Stetson. To be honest with all of this heat I was a bit tired by Quicksilver seemed as fresh as when we started. Finally we fell in behind her and she pulled Hacker, Siren and Me to Cawston and the jog onto Industrial to head for Sanderson. As we pulled up to the light on Sanderson it flipped green and I took us north towards Lowes. Everyone was still riding strong even if it had popped into the 100+ range. I got us to the Lowes parking lot and started towards the back.
We moved over to Acacia and Siren took the lead. We were quite a ways behind her at Kirby but I caught a draft off of a Bobtail truck and caught her at Gilmore and followed her back to Florida. It only took a few moments till we were all back at the cars and I ran in to get ice water. Siren was leaving as I came back out and Hacker left just a bit later. I stayed till Quicksilver left and went over to check on Digger at Hemet bike. He had a bad cut on his tire and was looking for a new one for Wednesday. I met up with Earth Dog as he drove his bike there for another tire as well. I got home in time for a late lunch and noticed I had a broken spring clip in my Speed plays. Something I will have to fix before Wednesday myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment