Saturday, June 6, 2015

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Friday is typically just a fun day. We ride however we want to ride and the group may or may not split up. So I was looking forward to a little climbing and some long straight runs. It was overcast and supposed to be cool all day and so I wasn’t expecting much. I got dressed, had breakfast and headed for the parking lot for coffee with Digger. I was second to arrive after Digger and just before Dragon Slayer. Earthy Dog arrived just before Gambler, Bulldozer and Ferret. ME-109 rode up just before Anaconda and Huntress. Polaris, Shooter and Siren rounded out the group as we got ready to pull out onto Gilmore and head to Acacia. I kept my arm warmers on but it wasn’t as cool as I thought it would be. We made it to Acacia and moved on over to Kirby to head south again to Cypress and west.
It felt pretty good to have a baker’s dozen on an overcast Friday and on the Three Climbs east ride at that. We made our way through the housing tract and I rode next to Dragon Slayer and discussed other rides and his new rear Cassette and how he was looking forward to testing out the gears on the climbs today. We pulled around the corner onto Johnston and waited at the light on Sanderson to cross onto Industrial and head for Cawston. Earth Dog led us over to Stetson and west to Warren and headed for California.
As we neared California ME-109 took the lead and headed us south towards Stowe. This is where it normally turns into fun. ME-109 set the pace and I followed him onto Stowe and away from the main group. We had 100 yards on them before we sat up and soft pedaled so they could close. Well before the group closed on us Ferret closed rapidly causing ME-109 to take off and make him chase him. I was sort of just watching as Gambler and Shooter caught me and rolled by. I woke up and grabbed shooters wheel and we headed for the metal barn. Bulldozer pulled Dragon Slayer up to us and the five of us made it to the Winchester Farms parking lot to regroup.
Once everyone took off jackets and arm warmers we were back on the road and headed south towards the dump road. We ended up getting stretched out quite a bit before we got to 9th and even more by Simpson. It turned out Polaris was stung by a bee and some of the B group slowed with her till she could catch up to Domenigoni where I was waiting. Digger had some Benadryl ointment and gave it to Polaris and we were on our way chasing the A group towards the Marina. We got there after most of the As had regrouped at the bottom of the hill. I got to the top just as Earth Dog and Siren were starting down. We regrouped at the top with my group and headed down to the bottom of the hill to meet up with the As before heading back out onto Domenigoni and down to state.
As we headed for State the group split again and the A group made the light while Dragon slayer stayed with the B group and we got caught at the light. We worked our way to Chambers and then over to Santa Fe and finally back out onto Stetson to head for the climb to Ramona Bowl. Dragon Slayer led us to Girard and to the base of the Ramona Climb. I chased him up the hill and got by just enough to hold him off as we made it to the gate at the top of the parking lot. It won’t be long before I won’t be able to keep up with him even on the hills. We regrouped and headed down from the bowl to Crest where we found Siren and headed east to work our way to Lake and then back out onto Stetson. We followed Dragon slayer to Fairview and then headed north. Siren took led the way towards the bridge with Earth Dog. Before we got to the bridge Dragon Slayer and I made a run for Florida and caught Siren and Earth Dog before Mayberry. We then pulled the group east towards Cranston. Dragon slayer and I took turns pulling and pushed ourselves a bit after seeing an orange blur ahead of us about 200 yards. We just about burned ourselves up trying to close on Gambler, Shooter and Bulldozer and had no idea what had happened to ME-109 or Ferret.
Once we were all together we headed back west without planning another stop before Burger King. Gambler and Bulldozer live on the east side so they rode home. Shooter took Siren back to the cars and I rode with Huntress, Polaris, Digger and Anaconda to New Chicago where Polaris left for home. We made it to Lincoln and then Park before leaving Digger when we cut over to Devonshire. Anaconda and I stopped at the car wash with Huntress to pick up her car before heading back to Burger king. I left Anaconda at her truck and headed for home for lunch and to start a few projects before the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment