Monday, December 8, 2014
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
I got up this morning and felt a slight chill in the air. It was 58 and a winter’s day in Southern California. I felt it was at least a arm and leg warmer day and just for good measure maybe a light jacket. At least it was a good looking day and we had very little wind. As I walked outside I thought about other cyclists living in other places like Minneapolis and Buffalo and what it must be like the get ready for a group ride there. So far this year we have missed one day because of the weather and we may or may not miss our second day this coming Friday. Considering we will be halfway through December so things were looking good for only missing 2 days of riding all year because of weather.
I got to Burger King with only Digger waiting and a need for coffee. By the time I came out Highlander, Rocky and Dragon Slayer had arrived followed by Bulldozer and MacGyver. Tax Man was the last to arrive just before we pulled out onto Gilmore and headed south.
We quickly made our way to Acacia and then Kirby. At this point I was still cold and to be honest I don’t do cold well. Still I started the pull up to Cypress and west. By the time we made the turn Highlander pulled up next to me and we talked a bit about Friday’s ride and the upcoming double Metric Century set up for Saturday. Up to this point I wasn’t really feeling like pushing much but I was glad to be out on the bike. I did get us over to Johnston and to the light on Sanderson. We had to wait for a green light before we could make the turn and head for Stetson and then Domenigoni.
I got us past Mustang and the High school to make the turn west on Domenigoni. I was determined to keep as many riders together as I could and decided not to chase Bulldozer and Dragon Slayer as they came by. MacGyver pulled up next to me and we talked till we got to Warren. He took the lead and pulled us most of the way to Winchester and I pulled us to Leon where MacGyver took the lead again. He took us to the saddle and regrouped with Dragon Slayer and Bulldozer.
As we dropped off of the back side of the saddle and headed for Menifee tax man started to show signs of energy. When we made the turn south on Menifee Tax Man took off south and pulled away from the rest of us. Most of us followed about 200 yards back as Tax Man rolled over Revival and waited for us at the top. Bulldozer, Dragon slayer and MacGyver rolled on by followed by Digger and headed for Scott while Highlander, Tax Man, Rocky and I regrouped and headed for Scott once we were all back together. Rocky took us to Scott and the over the freeway. We made our way to Haun and headed north and caught Dragon Slayer about halfway to Holland. Tax Man left us at Newport and we regrouped with Dragon slayer, Bulldozer and MacGyver at the gas station.
After a brief stop we were back on the road and headed west again. Digger was riding much stronger as we made our way towards Bradley and we were pretty much all together as we headed for Golf Car Racing and McCall.
I turned around and started pulling with Dragon Slayer up the hill and towards the stop sign at the top. By the time we got to that sign it was just Dragon Slayer, Bulldozer, MacGyver and Me with Rocky close behind. We got to the corner and headed back east to the freeway again with Bulldozer and Dragon Slayer in the lead. We at last made it over the freeway and past the Valero station and I got a chance to lead us to Hospital hill and to the flat spot before t last climb. Dragon Slayer picker of a piece of wood and had to pull over before we crested, regrouped and headed back down the hill to get to Heritage and south east.
It didn’t take long before we got to Lindenburger and had to wait to turn onto Stetson. Dragon Slayer started us east towards Leon and at first I was perfectly happy to hang in the draft and cruise along in the back of the pack. Digger, Rocky and Bulldozer were well off of the back and I kept watching for them as we got to Briggs and through the stop sign. Bulldozer came by and for reasons only known to the cycling gods I jumped on his wheel picking up MacGyver as we pulled away from the rest of the group. I could only hold on till we got through the set of trees where the Llama lives. My matches we low and MacGyver pulled by me and followed Bulldozer all the way to Winchester. Bulldozer left us at Winchester and MacGyver headed for Stowe. I caught the light green and headed for Stowe myself. I got to Winchester farms just as Tax Man was getting ready to leave and MacGyver decided not to stop. The rest of the group stopped for coffee before getting back on the road and heading towards California Street.
For a change we stayed together all the way to California and then north to Stetson and headed east to Warren. Rocky took the lead and got us to Warren and then I took over and headed towards first the airport and then Sanderson. I took the lead and got us to Johnston where Rocky left us. I them continued on to Lowes and we made to turn around the building and over to Acacia. I then got us back to Kirby where Dragon Slayer got us to Gilmore and headed back towards the parking lot.
We stopped to talk briefly at the cars and then moved on to see the bike that was being built for Sasquatch. We visited once again briefly before I rode home to get lunch and take a hot shower. It turned into beautiful warm day as I rode home and one that made me glad I didn’t live in Buffalo or Minneapolis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment