Monday, July 21, 2014
The Mini Tour de DVV
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Today was the first day of a three day Tour de DVV. This stage started out somewhat flat with one little bump, a sprint, a big climb plus a small climb. It was a perfect morning for it but not everyone made the starting line putting some of the favored riders at a great time disadvantage.
As the Tour started we headed south on Gilmore the Peloton consisted of Surgeon, Digger, Highlander, Quicksilver, Forrest, (Hacker) Bloodhound and me. Bloodhound made an early break but the peloton wasn’t far behind.
We caught Bloodhound at Kirby and headed south. We came upon a rider from another team and soon we had run him down. (Truth is it was a touring rider heading for Oceanside.) But getting back to the story we made our way to Cypress and headed for Johnson. Once again we were even with Bloodhound as we headed south once more headed for Domenigoni and the long run to the saddle.
Bloodhound was controlling the pace as we headed west on Domenigoni and soon Surgeon was in second place while I fell back to third. Highlander, Quicksilver, Hacker and Digger were behind me but holding onto the peloton pretty well. We crossed Warren and the dry wash and still Bloodhound wouldn’t give up the pull. It didn’t matter to me because two chances for points were coming up, the first climb and later the Sprint. The fact that I am the only one that knew about the points is not germane to the story so I will ignore it. We had to pause at Winchester and we reset the line heading to Leon. Bloodhound was still pulling strong but Highlander had given his position to Quicksilver and I was still third behind Surgeon. At the bottom of the saddle Bloodhound picked up the pace but soon Surgeon downshifted and went into a spin. I jumped to the outside in a full sprint and pulled in front. I gapped both Surgeon and Bloodhound and thought I could cruise to the top but there was no such luck as Surgeon pulled up on my right. However I wasn’t even close to being out of gas so I was back up dancing on the pedals and finished the climb and sprint first. Those gave me six points, three for the sprint and three for the climb and a good chance at the next sprint and climb as we dropped down the hill and headed for Carl’s.
We were spread out a bit as we came up to Antelope and we just got a green as we got to the light. Surgeon, Bloodhound and Highlander attacked the ramp and headed over the freeway making the light green at Haun. When the light turned green I started a chase pulling Quicksilver with me. By Bradley I could see Highlander passing information on my progress to Bloodhound and their pace picked up. I still closed and soon had Quicksilver within three or four bikes lengths at the last side street. Another warneing went to Bloodhound but it was too late. I came through the draft and won the second sprint for another three points. I now sat at nine to Bloodhounds 2 for third on the saddle climb and sprint and 2 more for the Newport Sprint. We pulled into Carl’s for a nature break before moving on to the second Climb of the day. Surgeon pulled off and Murrieta for no points and Highlander left at Normandy for no points.
Bloodhound headed up Goetz while I paced the group to Normandy before giving chase. I knew I didn’t have to push hard because I had two more points in the bag as long as no one passed between me and Bloodhound. No one did and Quicksilver took third. That put the score at 11 points for me, 7 points for Bloodhound, 2 points for Surgeon, and I point for Quicksilver. I didn’t mention the score to anyone at the top of Goetz either but that is just the way I am.
We met at the bottom of the hill only to discover that Surgeon had rejoined us and Highlander had abandoned the stage. We started east then and headed for Murrieta to continue the stage and the search for points in this exciting event. Bloodhound pulled us to the Mortuary corner and headed us east to Bradley. The smooth pavement on Bradley sure made the ride feel nice after the strain on the legs from the climb.
Quicksilver took that opportunity to try and make a breakaway but was caught before McCall and the turn east. We all made the light and made it over the freeway except that Hacker and Bloodhound were way out front when Quicksilver and I caught the light over the freeway with Surgeon. The last chance for any points was on McCall and once again Bloodhound got 3. Surgeon was disqualified for taking a shortcut so I got 1 point for third and Hacker got 2 points for second. The finish for the stage was at the top of McCall so all we had to do was cruise to Simpson and east to Winchester before heading up to Winchester Farms for coffee.
Bloodhound left while we were having coffee but we followed not long afterward. Quicksilver and Surgeon led us east on Stowe and soon had us back up to about 20 mph even for the cruise home. We made the turn onto California Street and worked our way down to Stetson.
I got out front with Hacker on Stetson and pulled us back to Warren for where Surgeon left for home. The remaining riders made our way to the Airport and back to Sanderson for the Lowes run and then to Acacia. I pulled on to Acacia and then to Kirby before leading the group back to the parking lot. I rode back to Hackers street before heading home myself to check the standing for the first stage on the Tour de D V V. At the end of the first day the standings are as follows.
Me……………12 points
Bloodhound.…10 points
Hacker………..2 points
Quicksilver……1 point
Digger…………0 points
Surgeon………..DNF
Highlander…….DNF
Don’t even ask about points for Wednesday because I am still not telling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment