Friday, May 23, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) The Legend of “The Curse of Red Mountain”. I have had a ride on the books for a long time that I have just never posted because it goes to Red Mountain. Let me explain; It has been said and stories have been told about a strange smoke or mist monster than inhabits Red Mountain Road after it turned off of Sage at Sycamore Springs. Much like Big Foot there have been signs of this monster but no real description. So when I headed for the parking lot this morning I didn’t have high hopes that many would be joining me for the ride. Friday is normally a free for all day and I never know who will show up anyway. I got to the parking lot and sure enough Digger was just getting there. He was followed by Bloodhound and a surprise arrival of Bandit. I wasn’t surprised to see Nate come down from Idyllwild nor was I surprised that Huntress had returned from vacation. Highlander drove up followed by of all People Papillion. If climbing is required it seems that Papillion is attracted like moth to a flame. We waited till just after 8am before heading down to Acacia and over to Kirby.
I believe we all realized there was no need to hammer our way down to Cypress and turn west. After all we were about to do battle with one of our biggest climbs and face down an unknown force that may or may not engulf us as we tried t ride up the hill and into the clouds. Sure enough the mountain monster tossed the first attack at us on Cypress. Just before we got to Johnston we came upon a road block and a sink hole that ate part of our road. However like the intrepid knights of old was worked our way around the giant maw trying to eat us before we made it to Domenigoni. We made it to the light at Sanderson and headed towards Stetson and then Mustang to zero in on the attack of Sage.
As we turned onto Domenigoni and headed east towards State Street we started to spread out. It seemed as if a force was resisting us and clouding our mind with thoughts of defeat. I fell off of the pace to assist Digger and Highlander on their way to State Street but soon Highlander must have had such a feeling of foreboding that he broke off and headed for home. I caught digger as we turned onto State and the Huntress as she stopped to remove her jacket. I then pulled Huntress back to Digger as we turned onto Cactus Valley and joined Nate as we headed to Sage to regroup with Bandit and his group. It turns out he had picked up Gambler and we waiting to make plans for how we would attack Red Mountain. It was decided we would try the divide and conquer the monster by having the A group cross over the top of Sage and head down to Benton with a downhill so they would be hard to chase. Huntress, Nate, Digger and I would head up Red Mountain and see if we could get to the top without being immersed I an evil blue fog. It almost worked.
Gambler, Bandit, Bloodhound and Papillion quickly outpaced us and headed for the top of Sage. Nate, Huntress and I topped out a few minutes later and headed up Red Mountain road. Nate and I kept pace with each other till we hit the long 9 percent grade and started the first big climb on the road. My gears kept me with Nate as we topped the hill and headed for the next one. I don’t know if Nate noticed it but I felt a bit tense as we made the last big climb and headed for the smaller rollers before the end of the road. We got to the stop sign and waited for Huntress. Sure enough as she got to the place where I felt the tenseness a blue cloud seem to form over her. Much like speaking in tongues she must have uttered bad words connected with my name and the 9 percent climb. Whatever she was saying formed a blue smoke above her head and just managed to dissipate as she pulled up to us and stood looking me right in the eye.
By the time Digger arrived we had just about made up and applauded Diggers effort and riding all the way up Sage and then Red Mountain. They was no blue cloud by the time he got to the 9 percent climb so the smoke monster must have fallen on Huntress alone. I still love her anyway and all is forgiven even if she renamed the section of the road, “Bad Bob climb”. We got ready to head back down and I knew at the pace we would be going there would be no picture taking.
We dropped off of Red Mountain like a rock and turned onto Sage being careful to take it easy as we went into the trees and the hard part of the decent. Once we got back to Cactus Valley we regrouped and headed for State. We headed north to Chambers and decided we would cut the ride short and head back to the parking lot. Huntress, Digger and Nate all had things to do so when we got back we headed for our homes and a much needed shower and Lunch. Yes the Red Mountain monster exists because Huntress experienced it and some of us saw the smoke from it. Thanks to the A group for drawing it away long enough for some of us to climb the Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment