Friday, May 2, 2014
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Friday has turned into one of my favorite days for bike rides. They are simple and people are free to set their own pace and just ride. This Friday was no different than the last few Fridays except we were going to ride Lambs Canyon and stop at Starbucks in Beaumont. I knew it would be hot and it could be a fast climb so I dressed light, had breakfast and took plenty of water before heading to Burger King for coffee.
It was good to see Digger was back with us and Surgeon was even there early. Bloodhound, Gambler, Sasquatch and Rooster rode up as I got coffee and Newsboy came in just before 8am. We didn’t have a big group but we were eager to head up the hill. Right at 8am we headed out onto Latham and turned north on Lyon the head towards Ramona.
Everything was going smoothly except that Digger and Surgeon weren’t planning on climbing the hill and Gambler said he might go all the way to Oak Glen. We kept it smooth as we moved north past Esplanade and Bloodhound pulled away with Newsboy followed on his wheel. I also knew we would pick up Dragon Slayer after we passed Ramona Expressway. I fell back with Rooster and Digger as we got to Ramona Boulevard and we followed the group onto Sanderson. I noticed Newsboy had pulled over at the light and I tried to stop the group where we picked up Dragon Slayer. But while we waited it turned out Newsboy just tossed a chain and rode right by us before the bridge. Surgeon left us at Gilman and Digger had already headed west on Ramona Expressway.
I was trailing the group as we started up the hill with Bloodhound, Gambler and Newsboy way in the lead. After Gilman Dragon Slayer started to pull away and I told Rooster to go play as I knuckled down into a steady spin to Try and close on Dragon Slayer and Sasquatch. Once Rooster pulled away I caught up to Dragon Slayer about the time he caught up to Sasquatch. I followed them as we got close to the top of the first climb I took the lead and tried to see how close I could come to catching Bloodhound and Newsboy. Rooster had already caught them and started to chase Gambler as he kicked it up a bit and headed up the second climb.
About halfway up the last climb Bloodhound and Newsboy were stopped on the side of the road and I pulled Bloodhound, who might have been a bit dehydrated, up to 1st street for a regroup and hydration. Gambler and Rooster were long gone when we got there.
Once we were back on the road Dragon Slayer took us to Oak Valley parkway and then to Highland Springs before letting the young Turks take off for second Street and Starbucks. I was surprised to see Gambler and Rooster there as we had coffee.
We headed back to Lambs Canyon and the fast downhill towards the dump. We no sooner crested the rise and started downhill than Gambler flashed by me with Newsboy hot on his back wheel. I was caught off guard but managed to close on the two of them before we got down to the light at the dump. I kept waiting to see if Newsboy would take a pull before deciding if I wanted to pull out front to take my turn at pulling but it never came so as we started up the second rise I came from the back and gave Gambler a break. Before the last downhill Gambler started to slow and I sat up only to have Newsboy come out from behind him and tried to get away on his own. I managed to catch back up to him at Gilman and we soft pedaled till Sasquatch and Rooster caught us and we discovered that Gambler stopped to fix a flat. We crossed the Expressway and turned on the boulevard to wait upper the trees for Gambler.
It turned out the Dragon slayer had turned west on the Expressway and Gambler had turned east so we simply headed for Lyon and home. Rooster and I more or less cruised down Lyon and watched as Sasquatch, Bloodhound and Newsboy headed away on their own. We found them at the bike shop and visited for a short period of time before heading home ourselves. I rode with Rooster to his street before turning back to my house for a hot shower and a cold drink. A great Friday ride and at least there was only a light wind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment