Friday, January 17, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Another week was coming to an end and I wanted to take it easy for a Friday ride. I didn’t know who would be riding for sure but I wanted a little extra distance for the Cactus Valley ride so I added Cranston Station and planned on 40 miles to finish the week. Digger was waiting for me but I expected that. I knew he had a new tire after cutting one on Wednesday. I expected Sasquatch because he got a new crank after fragging his old one on the Elsinore ride. Bloodhound was almost a given but I was surprised to see Ferret and Tinker Bell drive up just before Phil. Scott joined us again as did Newsboy and that looked like about all we were going to have. Huntress called and said she would meet us on State Street so we headed south on Gilmore to Acacia. We made the turn onto Acacia and down to Kirby and South again.
I knew Bloodhound would push the pace even on a flat Friday so I asked Ferret to lead the A group and expected them to pull away for us. What I didn’t expect was for them to leave us right after we turned onto Cypress. I wasn’t all that concerned except we were already running about 19 mph before we even got to Sanderson and Johnston. I gather that Gambler joined then at Domenigoni and Sanderson and headed for the Marina with Scott in tow. We rounded the corner and headed for State Street where we caught up to Scott and headed towards Cactus valley while Gambler, Bloodhound, Newsboy Ferret and Tinker Bell climbed seven dollar hill. I turned the lead over when digger and Scott passed me at Newport. Just before the rise at the Cactus Valley turn Sasquatch pulled around Digger and made a run at the hill. I spun up to him when he bogged just before the turn itself and took off for the Golf Course. Sasquatch caught me where the road got wide.
I got a slight draft off of a water truck just as Scott and Digger caught our back wheel and only Pill was with me as we rolled by Sage and started into Cactus Valley. I was feeling real good and managed to stand all the way to the Baptist Church and headed for the end of the road till Phil called me back thinking the rest of the group had stalled. They were still coming however so we rode to the end of the pavement and waited for the A group. Huntress caught us before the A group arrived. Bloodhound was the first a rider to arrive followed by Ferret, Gambler, Newsboy and Tinker Bell.
Once everyone had regrouped and refueled we got ready to head back to State Street. Bloodhound and Ferret took off first and I gave chase at Sage with Newsboy to help me close. And close we did till we made the turn on State and headed for Newport. I got us close but not quite fast enough to catch them before McSweeney and the right turn through the houses there. Once again re regrouped on State and got ready for the State Street mile sprint.
I stuck to Bloodhound’s wheel till the last 50 yards looking over my shoulder to see if Newsboy was going to jump and then I hit it and kept the spin going all the way to the mobile home park. Once again I released the A group and this time Huntress, Newsboy and Tinker bell went with them. I had Digger, Scott, and Sasquatch with me and we cruised through the old homes on Crest.
We worked out way over to Lake and headed north back to Stetson. Phil and I broke away from Digger and Scott and headed east to Fairview. Once again I was feeling pretty strong so I did most of the pulling and finally turned south on Fairview towards Wilson Mesa. I could see the A group regrouping on top of the Mesa and moved quickly up the hill and around the houses to join them. Phil and Scott stopped with the a group and Digger followed my example and joined us at the regroup point.
I notified Newsboy that more than likely there would be a sprint from Stetson to just before Mayberry and he made the mistake of dropping off of the hill first. I say the mistake because that allowed Bloodhound and I to work together and catch him. Once Bloodhound had the lead I settled into the second position only to have Gambler fly by in full sprint mode. I started to go after him and for reasons only known to him Bloodhound fell off. I never caught Gambler and he turned for home on Florida as did Huntress and Scott. I went with Bloodhound and Newsboy towards Cranston and ended up pulling as we left the trees. I happened to be in the right gear and managed to run hard to Cranston and waited for the rest of the group to arrive. As we returned down the hill towards Carl’s only four of us stopped for coffee and conversation. Sasquatch left first while Digger, Newsboy and I headed to Lincoln and west towards Park.
Digger left us as we turned onto Devonshire and Newsboy and I rode together back to Lion where I broke off and headed for home. I did stop by the bike shop to check on Newsboy and some adjustments he wanted to make on his bike before going home for a hot shower and Lunch. It turned out to be a great day for a Friday ride and the end of a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment