Wednesday, January 1, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) I was looking forward to the first ride for 2014 because it can set the tone for the rest of the year. I decided to continue the tradition of climbing the first ride so I posted Strawberry Shortcake and came home from a New Years eve party early to be sure I got my rest for the ride. What I may have forgotten to mention is that I put in a 31 mile mountain bike ride Tuesday morning and these old legs were not used to being worked two days in a row. Still I got dressed after breakfast and headed to coffee with Digger. When I got to the parking lot Digger was already there as was Dragon Slayer. I was beginning to feel we might have a rather small group today till Bloodhound, Gambler and Newsboy joined us. RCMP and Huntress joined us as well. We started out onto Latham and picked up Mantis before turning north on Lyon.
Dragon slayer had two riders joining us on Lyon and Ramona so he was going to lead us the Expressway and rejoin us at State Street. Just before we got to Ramona Boulevard Bloodhound and Dragon Slayer headed straight and it looked like Mantis and Newsboy and Gambler followed them. I took the rest of the group on the jog over to Ramona Boulevard and started us east towards State Street. I then took everyone to the Expressway and across the street to park in front of Starbucks and wait for Dragon Slayer and his two friends. Somehow Mantis and Newsboy circled around us and came out above us on State. We had time to eat a energy bar before we were joined by Blain and his friend along with Bloodhound, Gambler and Dragon Slayer to head north towards Soboba.
Mantis took the lead as we pulled away from Starbucks and we quickly made our way towards the College. As we were moving north I couldn’t help but think how lucky we are to be living where we can ride almost every day of the year. It was January 1, 2014 and we were almost too warm with a summer jersey and base layer. Something I would have to shed soon enough. None the less I didn’t think about it too long before Mantis took us around the corner and onto Soboba and we began the run east.
Mantis was pulling very nicely as we hit the first roller and just as we got pointed towards the second Newsboy passed us and I had to pull to group up to his back wheel. Gambler dropped the hammer and blasted by and Bloodhound tried to give chase. The rest of us held our fire till Newsboy jumped out again after the second roller and Mantis reeled him in. Soon RCMP jumped around Mantis and I closed onto his wheel. He got me close to Bloodhound but not close enough to close on his wheel, still I pulled by RCMP and gave chase on the last hill only to run out of gas and watch Dragon Slayer go by. Not enough to catch Bloodhound and we couldn’t even see Gambler. We regrouped at the golf course and then headed for the bridge over the river bed.
We moved east on Ramona towards Cedar where we expected to pick up Bulldozer and lose Blain and his friend Thomas. Digger fell off a bit at the light and I dropped back to ride with him. We trailed the rest of the group all the way to Florida and then closed onto Huntress as we got to the trees before climbing to Cranston Station for a regroup. After catching out breath we started up the hill towards Strawberry Creek and our turn around point. I pulled till we got to the jeep trail and then turned it over to Dragon Slayer who took us for another mile or two.
Huntress and Digger were off the back and Dragon Slayer set into a steady pace trying to reserve his breathing because of a cold he is nursing. I stayed with him till we got to Strawberry Bridge and pulled over to take off my quickly getting wet base layer. I made every effort to change quickly knowing Huntress was not far behind me and finally was redressed and back on the bike pointed uphill. However I had on my new shoes and cleats and missed the right pedal and sure enough made a slow motion fall onto my left side. No harm no foul but huntress past me and I had to chase her down before the parking turnout for our turn around regroup.
We had a little wait because Digger was plugging away about 5 or 10 minutes behind us. But one thing we all knew was sooner or later Digger would get there. He may not be the fastest climber in the group but he has that never give up attitude and has stuck with us even on some rather difficult rides. Today was no different because about 10 minutes after the last of us regrouped Bulldozer rolled back down a turn and game back following Digger to the turn out.
All we had left to do was head back down the hill and go to Carl’s for coffee. I dropped off the hill first and made it almost to the flats just before the jeep trail before Gambler and Bulldozer caught me. I was well into the flats when Bloodhound, Huntress and RCMP pulled by. I caught a wheel and we headed for Cranston and beyond. By now my legs were screaming about the abuse I had put them through on Tuesday and shortly after going back through the trees I sat up and let RCMP pull Bloodhound back up to Gambler and Bulldozer. We pulled into Carl’s and about half of us stopped for coffee and conversation. Once it was time to leave RCMP, Newsboy, Mantis, Digger and I were all that was left to head west towards home.
RCMP left us first before we got to Park and by the time we were ready to turn on Columbia Digger left us. Mantis and Newsboy stayed with me for another block or two before leaving me to ride home alone. I cruised down to Palm and headed south towards home. Getting there to take a hot shower and walk the dog. I will have to remember that today was one of those days that make us glad we live where we do. And I will remember to make any ride after a Mountain Bike day an easy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment