Friday, January 10, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Another week was coming to a close and another Friday ride was in the works. I had every intention of trying to make this an easy ride but still get in some reasonable mileage in. The weather was predicted to be nice and only a light wind should be in our face. I got up to a clear morning and 39 or 40 degree weather. Still a base layer and a wool jersey with arm and leg warmers and I was ready to head for Burger King and coffee. Digger was already there when I pulled up and by the time I got coffee Dragon Slayer and Pinball Wizard was there as well. To our surprise Quicksilver pulled up next followed by Bloodhound. We also watched Daredevil and Bulldozer arrive. Lastly Huntress and Albert arrived. By 9am we were ready to head out to Latham and north on Lyon to start our day.
It didn’t take long for the A group to roll by the B group and by the time we rolled by Fruitvale they started to separate from us. Huntress said she would take the B group and told me to go play and so I did. I caught onto Dragon slayer’s back wheel just after we past Esplanade and we started a rotating pace line shortly after that. By the time we were closing in on Ramona Boulevard we were moving at least 5 MP faster than the B group.
We turned onto Ramona and quickly made our way to Sanderson and waited at the light to start west on the Expressway. We were moving pretty well in a fast pace line till we got to Warren. Some of the riders decided to roll the light at Warren and I dropped off. I get nightmares when I think of the time the big truck came straight through that light and had we not stopped it would have smashed through the middle of our group. To this day I see that truck in my dreams. I waited for the B group and worked with them till we got to the regroup at Lakeview and the Valero station. As we got started west again towards the rollers by Lake Perris I stayed with the A group till we were halfway to the last roller. Halfway up the last roller I kicked it down a gear to save my legs for the red light segment on Rider. I did hit that section hard but not hard enough to best my last run. Still it was a 30+ MPH run and I felt pretty good about it. We headed for Evans to regroup only to discover that Digger and Albert had missed the turn on Rider. I waited for them while the rest of the group headed for Nuevo and Menifee. Once Digger and Albert got to me I led them down to Nuevo and east towards Menifee the head for Florida.
I pulled steadily east on Nuevo and over the bridge to zero in on Menifee. Once headed south on Menifee I settled into a zone pace and pulled the two past the nursery and then Mapes picking up speed as we went. Soon we were running at about 80 percent and I could see Florida. As we got close to the light I noticed the group was waiting for us. I admit I was glad to see them even if Daredevil was gone heading for home and Bloodhound had to leave before we got started as well.
Dragon slayer took us down to McCall and Bulldozer got the light perfect as we headed for Simpson. Huntress tried to get me to chase the big dogs but I was simply too tired yet I had to run the Menifee rise faster than I liked because Quicksilver pushed me every inch of the way to Simpson. We took turns pulling to Leon and once into the trees I got us all the way to Winchester. When we turned north Quicksilver said she had to head for home and Huntress offered to ride with her. I stopped to regroup with the A riders and have coffee while we waited for Digger and Albert. There were only five of us left as we headed east on Stowe towards California Street.
We slowly pulled away from Digger and Albert and made it to California. Dragon Slayer pushed me all the way to Stetson and a sprint at the end just before the stop sign. In fact we never really relaxed as we made our way back to Warren and then past the Airport Road to ride together to Sanderson. I broke off at Johnston and made my way back to Palm and home for lunch and a hot shower. It may have been a simple Friday ride but it wasn’t as easy as I had planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment