Thursday, July 4, 2013
Chicked
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
7/3/13
Today was a day full of surprises and the first one was the pleasant weather we were provided by the onshore flow and over cast sky that greeted me as I took the dog for a morning walk. I also was feeling about as good as I have felt in weeks. I still need to modify my breakfast so I have enough energy to finish strong after 40 miles. But I started off the day well and felt strong all the way up Palm to Florida. Still Digger and Dura Max were already waiting when I got to Burger King.
Highlander pulled into the Parking lot just before Surgeon. Bulldozer and Dragon Slayer pulled up next followed by MacGyver and Quicksilver. I thought we were about ready to leave when Huntress showed up bringing out number to ten riders. By 8am we were out onto Gilmore heading south.
We rounded the corner onto Acacia and built up speed all the way to Kirby where we caught the light red. As we started south on Kirby I found that working through the gears was easier than most mornings. It felt so good that by the railroad tracks we were doing an easy twenty MPH. I led us onto Cypress and backed off as we headed through the housing tract and put onto Johnston to catch the light at Sanderson. When the light turned green we took off south again and quickly rolled by Wally World.
I really didn’t know what pace would be set on Domenigoni but I was soon to see Bulldozer take off followed by Dragon Slayer and MacGyver, Highlander and Surgeon. It was still early in the ride so I sat on Diggers back wheel and talked to Huntress with Quicksilver and Dura Max in tow. What I didn’t realize was it would foreshadow things to come later in the ride. Both Huntress and Quicksilver seemed to riding as strong as I have seen them ride and it just might be they felt power in numbers. Anyway I should have paid more attention because they would spring a few surprises on me as the day went on.
The first surprise was after Digger gave up the lead to Huntress just before the dry river bed. She picked up the pace well over a notch and I found myself bracketed between Huntress and Quicksilver. On the backside of the dry river Huntress caught Highlander only to learn that the big dogs were running at better than 30mph heading for Winchester. Highlander fell in with our group and we rotated through a pace line all the way to Leon. Quicksilver must have missed a gear as she fell back and I caught Huntress once we crossed the light. I got a good spin going and pulled Huntress and Highlander to the bottom of the saddle before Highlander fell off and it looked like Huntress was getting ready to attack. I sprinted part way to the sign by the beginning of the fence and managed to gap Huntress. We found Surgeon waiting for us. We regroup and dropped off of the saddle to pick up the rest of the group at Menifee.
As we moved south on Menifee Highlander kept a running dialog going about how Huntress and Quicksilver were going to attack me on Revive hill just past Holland. Then to accent things he pulled forward with Huntress taking the lead at the hill. As we past Holland Huntress and Quicksilver were getting up a spin and I was blocked in behind them. I fell back a bit and as I tried to move up on the outside Highlander gave the alarm that I was about to attack. I did attack and sprinted till I noticed both Huntress and Quicksilver has slowed before backing off myself and cresting the hill and stop sign about 25 yards in front of them.
We continued on to Scott and joined the big dogs waiting just around the corner. It took a moment but we still had a full crew before we started west again.
I took us to Antelope and then over the bridge to Haun. We soft pedaled till everyone were in line and then Dragon Slayer and Bulldozer started a strong pull north towards Holland again. I found the pace to be easy enough but both Huntress and Quicksilver were in front of me. Still I had MacGyver back with me in case I needed a pull if I got dropped. I didn’t realize that Digger and Dura Max were well behind us till we past Holland.
I fell in with Highlander and Quicksilver as we rolled up on Newport and a stop at the corner gas station. As we waited Digger pulled up and Dura Max Rolled on by heading for Bradley and home. It was the last we saw of him. We took off a few minutes later and I got us up to Bradley heading north in short order. We stayed together more or less till we got to McCall and headed back over the freeway. Before we got to the Valero station the big dogs took off again and I was soon to get surprised on Hospital hill.
Quicksilver started t spin up pretty well as we past Antelope and I was with her till we got to Hillpoint and the light. As we left the light we were gapping Highlander and Digger and I was thinking about dropping back to cruise with them. Quicksilver took off and was pulling away from me and I thought Huntress would go with her. But Huntress decided to stick to my wheel. I should have felt like a hunted animal between two Lionesses because I was between a rock and a hard place. I had to give chase to the fleeing Quicksilver but if I did I would be pulling the faster Huntress up the hill. Needless to say as I caught Quicksilver, Huntress attacked and I didn’t stand a chance of catching her before she crested the hill. Yes I got “Chicked” and you could have seen the grin on Huntress’s face a block away. Just about the same distance you could have heard quicksilver’s cheers.
We dropped off of the saddle and headed for Simpson. I guess I had neglected some hydration because I started suffering leg cramps but with some electrolytes I was working through it as we got to Lindenburger. We took turns pulling the pace line to Leon and I was able to pull again before we got to Winchester.
Once we got to Chris’s we were able to have coffee and conversation with the big dogs and refill our water bottles before getting ready to head back on Winchester. I took us on an easy pull north to Stowe and headed east towards California.
We were still running strong as we got to California and headed down to Stetson. Just as we rolled around the corner I hit a pot hole and my camera popped out of its case and bounced down the road. It stopped working and I thought it was dead for good. I replaced the batteries and it started working again but I still may see if they will replace it because I am not sure it will continue to work with all of the dents I have in it. Anyway I had allmof that to think about as I broke off from the group on Stetson and the Airport and made my way home to finish with 40 miles on the computer. Tomorrow I will see what I need to do t get the camera working or replaced.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment